Kernel Panics R' Us

mattrstewart

Registered
So I recently bought a 20" Intel Imac

I was loving the speed and power of this thing...but now I am hating the beast!

I get kernel panics every day, sometimes several a day.
I tried doing an erase and install...and start over...but same thing happenes.

It happens at random times to:
Sometimes when all im doing is browsing internet
Sometimes when I am converting video using visualhub
Sometimes when I am converting video using handbrake
Sometimes when I am watching movies/tv using MediaCentral

I read about a possible problem with the 10.4.7 update, and that you need the 'a' version. I know if you did combo update it wont say 'a' at end of build, and i couldnt remember if i did combo or not, so i installed the correct version again, and now i have an 'a' at end.....but still same problems

what can i do? is this hardware specific?
or is it something with an app runnning in background or something?

I realized i should explain my setup for better answers:

20" intel imac
2 Ghz Core Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
10.4.7 Build 8J2135a
I have the imac hooked up to a TV always
I have the imac hooked up to an external LaCie Extreme D2 250 GB hard drive always
I had bootcamp installed with second partition, but later erased that partition and installed parallels desktop
I have SofaControl running always
I have the computer running every day, and try to turn it off most nights
I have messed around with xcode and terminal trying to modify some media apps like mediacentral and itheater

I don't know what is that but that means your Mac has problems. I've run the hardware test and everything's fine. I suggest that you bring it to a local Apple Store.

You might have to get replacement memory. If it's still under warranty, maybe Apple might be able to replace it for free. Contact them about the issue.

well...i didnt think it was the memory....
and the memory was bought at same time, and installed by dealer (authorized apple seller - we dont have official apple store in HK)

the test was also failing on logic board test i think...

i got Rember to run, and it said memory failed as well...

so i will try to contact the store tomorrow to fix it...

whats wierd too....i tried reinstalling everything again just now, and it failed installation about 10 times, then finally installed. i feel like this thing is crapping out on me

Are your RAM modules seated properly? Try taking them out and putting them back again. Or switching them around in the slots. You could leave just one RAM in at a time and then test each chip using Memtest/Rember.
Might be just one of the RAM chips that's faulty.
Also, I highly recommend getting yourself a copy of Techtool Pro: http://www.micromat.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=31 It's far more comprehensive than the hardware test that's included with your installation disks.
(Micromat has just released a new, beta version that'll work with the IntelMacs: http://micromat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=161&Itemid=85
I'd first resolve the RAM issue before suspecting other areas of your Mac.

Looks like there's either something wrong with your second RAM chip or something wrong with your logic board (which could lead to memory read errors). If you remove the second RAM chip, it'll probably work fine....but then of course you'd only have 1GB of RAM.

Your machine is still under warranty, so I'd take it into an Apple authorized service provider. If it's a logic board problem, they'll replace it for free. This happened to my Mac Mini; it ran fine until I upgraded to 1GB of RAM, and then I got kernel panic after kernel panic until I had the logic board replaced.

If it's just a bad RAM chip, I guess that would depend on the policies of the place you bought it.

ok...heres an update:

This morning i turned the computer on, and it showed grey apple screen, then the blue screen, then showed the "starting Mac OS X" dialog box, the blue status bar zipped across, and then the box dissapeared, and I was left with a blue screen and spinning loading symbol.

After a min, it went to black screen and said something about imac.local darwin and had a prompt (like dos) and said login, so i type my username and hit return, and then it says password. Passowrd doesnt let me type.

I tried several different scenarios, and tried nothing at all, but all result in same thing: goes back to blue screen with loading symbol spinning, then after a min returns to black screen.

So, I went to the apple reseller and brought the computer.
-they tried to start up and same thing happened.
*They replaced the samsung 1GB sticks x2 with kingston 1GB sticks x2.
-they tried to start up and same thing happened.
-they tried safe mode and same thing happened
-they tried firewire target mode and started up from another computer, but same thing happened.

so i left the computer with them to look at today. i get it back in about 6 hours.

what do you think it is?

its not a real service center, the service center is closed today. they said if still cant fix by tonight, I need to bring to service center later in week when im free

i have lifetime warranty for RAM and 1 year warranty for imac. im thinking of getting the apple care to help me out even more (if it would help more)

well...

picked it up already, and its all better............so far

They said it was a faulty firmware update. They fixed the firmware update, and made it nice, and reinstalled everything, and new RAM, and now im doing OK.

thanks for the help all

Back