kernel panics - the merged thread

sebas

Dutch member
I've update to MacOSX 10.2.4 this weekend and now, when i open my Powerbook, i get a message in all languages that i have to shut down or restart my mac by holding the power button for a few seconds or pressing the restart button.
Has anyone else have this problem???

that is a kernal panic. (Huge crash)

BUGGER!!

does it happen all the time, can you track down when it occurs, do you know how to make it happen.

Nothing actualy.
My powerbook was in sleeping-mode.
I only opened my powerbook an he woke up.
the battry power level was verry low, but i connected the adapter before opening the powerbook.

This was the third time since i installed osx 10.2.4 (last saturday)
and every time after opening the powerbook.

Powerbook 800 mhz / 1024 mb

do a site search for 'kernel panic'. you'll find lots of info on this and its possible causes.

If you want to try to decipher (or find someone who can do that) your kernel panics, they are in your mac as "panic.log". So search for panic.log in your finder - it should be in the libraries / somewhere among the other crash logs. :)

I have had the same experience since updating. It usually occurs when the computer is idle for awhile. I have an iMac flat panel desktop.
I will run the search tonight for kernel panics, but this doesn't sound good:eek: I would love to know how other users resolved the problem??

iSwitched.

I've had a couple KPs in the past 24 hours. I'm looking at the panic.log. Where can I go to figure out what it means?

Everyone telling me to search for the panic.log.
But i cannot find it anywere on my mac.
So i cannot find a good solution for my problem.
It is like iSwitched writes, is seems to happen when my mac wakes up after opening my powerbook.
I have an idea that this might happen when i disconnect my Sweex USB Memory Pen and close my powerbook immediately.
But i'm not sure.

The panic.log is in /Library/Logs/

Usually just after the date in the log will be the reason for the panic. In my log I have a few that just say unresolved kernel trap, or data access, or program.

Has anyone else noticed that the 10.2.4 update upgraded our kernel from 6.3 to 6.4?

Yep. you'll find it lso looking for 'panic.log' in your finder.

But to decipher where the memory leaks are ... i haven't found a comprensible deciphering guide or page. Sure at Apple (bug reports etc) they can decipher it - I'd enjoy though if they would put a deciphering guide somewhere on their page...

Today my brothers, (9 and 12), told me of a similar story. They were listening to iTunes and burning music cds when a screen popped up in different languages tell them to restart.

They immediately began arguing with one another about whose fault it was and then they called me.

At first I was shocked, but then I remembered reading about it here. I really had no clue about what it might be.

Thanks to you guys I now have some kind of idea. I'll have to check into the panic.log.

Thanks again MacOSX.com community!

Yeah! I NEVER had a kernal panic before...then i upgraded to 10.2.4...and just a few minutes ago, I finally had one. I, too, was listening to iTunes and deleting some songs while downloadin on safari when it came up. I wonder if 10.2.4 is the problem? :confused:

I've had about 10 kernal panics in the past two years (10.0.3 onward). None thus far has been in 10.2.4.

Unfortunately, they happened (though rarely) in earlier versions.

Sebas: I think you may be on to something. Your USB device, the memory pen, may be causing the panics if you disconnect it before sleeping. I'm not sure. It just sounds like a place to start.

Doug

yep, kinder, gentler, more like a mac, kernel panic :D

i see you are playing with your new 'book. :)

Nope... I am using my home Quicksilver G4 tower.

I think I must have been posting just as this site was being taken down for "10 minutes"... If there is anything that can induce a Kernel Panic I have no trouble beliving that IE could...

Beyond the hangs and crashes, I still like IE for some reason...

[edit]fixed 2 typos...

Wow, five kernel panics in the last three months for me. Not bad, but Apple really needs to work on its MS-DOS drivers. :( (USB HD/MP3 player needs FAT32 file system to function as an MP3 player)

My brothers have had two more instances of the kernel panic, one which I saw. I believe this is definitely a 10.2.4 problem. Apparently iTunes was open each time the problem occurred.

Back