kernel panics - the merged thread

Stopped working with my USB-pen and no more kernel panics for me.
It is strange dat the original Apple USB drivers can couse these kernel panics.
Because i didn't had to install third party drivers for my memory pen (SWEEX)

I've had a kernal panic with the foreign wording and telling me to restart as well. This is shortly after updating to 10.2.4. I now ahve the blue screen refreshing of the finder every time I try and ABOUT THIS MAC or restart or shutdown . What to do?

Ok, I talked to Apple Care today. They say this is a result of extra ram or some external device. I informed them of everyone else here who is having similar problems and named this site.

His suggestion: Remove my ram (which has caused no problem till the 10.2.4 update) Mac OS X running with only 256mb or ram???
icon8.gif

He conceded that the 10.2.4 update might have something to do with it. I even noted that the kernel had been updated. I believe apple is trying to hide as many bugs as possible.

This is the second time they refuse to recognize a problem and attribute it to something else. My other problem being that I get the spinning beach ball of death whenever my system is up for longer than 24hrs and I try and to logout or shut down iTunes. It usually takes a force quit 4 or 5 times for the app to finally shut down. This problem has been noted in other places on the forum. Apple attributes it to corrupted Preferences or something.

Apple own up to your mistakes and help us out. Let us know you are fixing them.

Sounds like your que is causing that. i noticed my iTunes refuses to quit if i have my CD burner on. I would believe the memory causes that, i had crashes at first, reorganized my ram, the apple included ram in slot 1, smaller ram cards, and my 512 in slot 4. I have a crash every blue moon, except yesterday upon that security update and removal of cache files the system bombed upon restart, and i got a blue screen at start up with the mouse but no login. Compared to 9, these crashes are nothing, just when they occur becomes the issue.

Yea something is wrong, and if you don't fix it it might get worse. I just got locked out my system yesterday. Upon restart i got a blue screen, I could move the mouse on it, but it wouldn't go to my login screen. So I reinstalled the system over itself, saving my old user folder and third party apps. Everything is the same as before, but my X partition is 1gig smaller

10.2.4 seems to be causing lots of kernel panics, so I suggest you downgrade back to whatever the latest stable version you used was.

Funny how 10.2 seems to be the most stable version...

If you hold Command-V as soon as you push the power button, you will see a (rather Windows-like) list of all the startup processes that normally happen behind the gray Apple logo. See what this says when your kernel panics; my dad's work iBook paniced on start up, but I can't remember what this produced; I did manage to deduce that the kernel had paniced, I remember that much.

Originally posted by Urbansory
Sounds like your que is causing that. i noticed my iTunes refuses to quit if i have my CD burner on. I would believe the memory causes that, i had crashes at first, reorganized my ram, the apple included ram in slot 1, smaller ram cards, and my 512 in slot 4. I have a crash every blue moon, except yesterday upon that security update and removal of cache files the system bombed upon restart, and i got a blue screen at start up with the mouse but no login. Compared to 9, these crashes are nothing, just when they occur becomes the issue.

Could you clarify what you mean in your post. I'm a bit lost. Do you mean that the CD Burner causes it or is it the RAM. And if it's the ram your saying the slots make a difference? How do you know which ram goes in which slot. I just have two 256mb ram sticks, one apple and the other third party.

the burner will keep iTunes open and force you to quit. That is a firewire Que, mine is usb, so not sure if it's the same impact. The ram can cause crashes, the ram that came with the cpu should be in the first slots, and any additional ram likely will be after those. Consider the system uses up some ram upon startup to cache essential things, so you want the ram that came with the computer to use that up. When i had my 512 in slot 1, my G4 crashed a number of times a day, now its rare. If you still have ram problems, then you have to remove them. I did zap my p-ram when i kept getting frequent crashes when i switched to 10.2.

ok, i might look into the itunes problem with my burner....this is on my DP 1GHZ G4. I only have the itunes problem with it after the machine has been up for 24hrs or more. I've never had a kernel panic on this machine *knock on wood*

Originally posted by dixonbm
...My other problem being that I get the spinning beach ball of death whenever my system is up for longer than 24hrs...
YEAH!!!

Me too!!!

I thought it had something to do with me serving my Web site (via Apache) from home...

I don't have iTunes open, so that is not it!

I SSH'd in from another machine and it was the Finder that was crashed. Everything else was running fine...

TommyWillB,

I have apache web server running from mine too, but it doesn't get accessed very often. I doubt this is the problem though. (At least I hope not.)

I personally think this is a problem with 10.2.4 that apple refuses to acknowledge.

When I called apple care about a week ago with the problem they suggested that my preferences might be corrupted and told me to try creating another user and using it for a while to see if the problem would reappear. Well, guess they were wrong, because I had the same problem today. I couldn't even shutdown my computer. I left it for an hour and a half after I gave it the command to reboot via the terminal. When I came back the little sun was STILL spinning.

I had a major kernel panic after updating to 10.2.4, which I found by running Disk Utility. I ended up re-installing 10.2, so that's it for me and updating!

iSwitched

My system is back to normal after installing the 10.2.4 combined update. I think something with me installing update after update and other problems caused my crash, but it's been running fine for the last couple days.

at the request of dixonbm, i have merged the three major threads on kernel panics together. I agree we should all be discussing the general issues together on this subject. perhaps it will even shed more light on the subject. and perhaps we can eventually get a nice FAQ out of this. obviously, this IS a frequently asked question.

I wouldn't recommend 10.2(.0), especially if you want to burn CDs. 10.2 had a bug that wrote the CDs incorrectly, according to some threads on our fav. Mac board (yes, MacOSX.com!).

I haven't had a kernel panic at all with my new iMac, which came with 10.2(.0). I've updated it to 10.2.4 with no problems.

Doug

Thanks Ed!

I know we are all having alot of problems with 10.2.4. I was thinking if we could all come together on what hardware (e.g. mice, extra ram, etc.) we have on our systems we might be able to piece together some answers.

iMac 17" (having kernel panics) has an extra 256k ram chip and a kensington mouse.

DP G4 1GHZ (slow downs, spinning ball of death, programs take 3 or 4 force quits to quit) has a kensington mouse, extra 256 mb ram, Que Fire CDRW drive, Zip 250, extra 30Gig hard drive.

Anyone else have any similar items.

well, just to clarrify, you can see my specs in my sig and 10.2.4 has been very good to me. no such problems. i've had a few slowed transfer times between my external disks but that's about it.

Interesting... Windows has the Blue Screen of Death, Mac has the Spinning Beach Ball of Death.

I have not upgraded my iMac but once to 10.2.3, and that resulted in Finder quits and me downgrading. I am hesitant now because I want to be able to use my computer with out anything panicing or crashing. I wish I could help you all figure out your panic problems; if I find anything out, I'll post it.

Back