Kernel Panics

francisco1947

Registered
I had ONE Kernel Panic 4 years ago, when I knew there was such problem, now after I upgraded to MacOsX 10.3.9 I have had one or two every day, after Java updater was released for few days they went away, but again I have one almost every day.
I have not installed a new driver or a new software, then I am pretty sure this problem started after MacOsX 10.3.9, and this is the first reason I don't want to upgrade to Tiger.
Anybody can helpe me to get rid of this problem,
Thank you,
Francisco J Lopez

I would download the 10.3.9 combo update and reinstall 10.3.9--even if you used the combo in the first place. If doing so doesn't work, then there are only 2 things to do (1) basic maintenance/troubleshooting and (2) reinstallation of your earlier software or Tiger. If you want to do some basic maintenance/troubleshooting first, then here is a list:

1. Empty the trash, and clear all browser caches;
2. Repair disk and repair permissions (go here );
3. Run the 3 periodic maintenance (cron) scripts (see above link);
4. Update the prebinding (see above link);
5. Use a program, such as Cocktail, to clear the system- and user-cache files; and
6. Use a program, such as Font Finagler, to purge font-cache files.
7. Check for corrupt preference files using, for example, Preferential Treatment.

Thank you The Ghost,
102 files unsuccessfully prebound.
I followed your advice and for the moment my eMac iis faster and no Kernel Panics, but I found "102 files unsuccessfully prebound" Is there a way to prebind every single file? Is it necessary? Must I use another software for Terminal?
Thank you

francisco1947 said:
Thank you The Ghost,
102 files unsuccessfully prebound.
I followed your advice and for the moment my eMac iis faster and no Kernel Panics, but I found "102 files unsuccessfully prebound" Is there a way to prebind every single file? Is it necessary? Must I use another software for Terminal?
Thank you
You can just call me Ghost--like my friend (the) Shadow. ~:)^) You are very welcome. Your OS should prebind automatically. I have no idea why you had so many "unbound" files. That problem should be fixed now.

Kernel Panics went away for 24 hours ONLY, then I had two more in 4 hours, if you know or have other suggestion will be welcome,
Thank you

Kernel panics can be software or hardware related--more frequently software related. You may have an extension conflict. Startup in single user/verbose mode (i.e., with extensions off) and see if you have panics. If not, then you have an extension conflict which needs to be resolved. I don't have a good reference to extension conflicts for OS X, but this link will get you started. You also could test your hardware using the Apple hardware test or Tech Tool Pro. And, you could verify the S.M.A.R.T status of your internal.

Back