Key Logging

pipermalibu

Registered
I have 10.4.3 software and I need to log ALL keystrokes typed. Does anyone know of any compatible key logging software?

I have googled all afternoon and I am looking for something that would have ademo so that I could make sure it works right. The only one I have found so far has no demo. (Spector) - Versiontracker has a couple that do not work with 10.4.3

If I am not being too forward might I ask why you need this type of software? I always thought that it was only good for things like steeling passwords and the like. Does it have a legitimate use?

Thanks

Yes it does. I have some employees that need to be monitored as they have access to sensitive information that could destroy our company if passed to a competitor. We may have a 'spy' from our competitor on the inside, and need to monitor the online activities of said employees.
In addition, we need to monitor if employees go to offensive sites that could trigger a lawsuit if found to be offensive by another employee

I also think that you are monitoring the wrong thing if you are interested in watching your employs for spying. If you think about it on a Mac I can copy all your data to a USB drive without hitting a key on the keyboard. Or how can you know if that Command-C Tab Command-V copied your secret sauce recipe into an email to your competitor.

If you really have honest security concerns you need to address them in the proper manner. Theft of sensitive data - isolation of the sensitive machines. Surfing to 'tasteless websites' - a filtering proxy limiting access. There are a host of useful and productive ways to properly control your security situation.

Really the only thing that key loggers can do is sniff passwords and catch unfaithful spouses who are composing emails on the logged machine. If you really have some industrial espionage going on and you are looking to a key logger as your solution... Well, to put it bluntly your are toast.

Good luck, and post a basic description of your security problem and I am sure that the experienced system admin types around here can point you in the right direction. (You may want to do that in a new thread as they may not be interested in key logging per se.)

Thanks for the advise. One of my IT guys has told me the same thing basically. We are looking at other security measures today.

VNC software might be a good option. Where I work each machine is silently running a TightVNC server, compiled from source with a few changes so that it runs silently and has the password hard-coded in. That means management can jump in any time and see what you're doing on screen.

And yes, you do have to announce this to employees and ensure they have signed an agreement that they understand that the computers may be monitored. Otherwise, you might have yet another headache to worry about.

If the computer(s) in question are owned by the company and run on a "company-owned" network, the users have no reasonable expectation
of privacy and do not have to be notified of any security measures,
including key logging and "live monitoring" software.

Grep,

There are some gray areas though that make this not totally absolute. For instance, if I call and make an appointment with my doctor during my break time, can my employer listen in on that call? As long as it is not a long distance call, every place I have worked for has allowed this as an acceptable use of company resources. I can imagine scenarios built on that where secretly monitoring all telephone calls could get the employer into trouble.

The point is that employment is not indentured servitude or slavery and it is very easy to create a situation where an employee might legitimately have an expectation of privacy even on those machines. Going back to the health care situation for a second. When I started at working for a very very large computer company as part of the hiring process I had to fill out some confidential health insurance information through a secure web form. I had every reason to expect that interaction to be confidential as carried out on the company computer. It isn't as cut-and-dried as you would like it to be.

So monitor if you want, but inform your employees. They might reasonably have an expectation of privacy, but you can 100% remove that by telling them you are watching.

Other companies that I have worked with have journaled emails to and from departments and executive staff.

What that means is that every email sent/recieved by a group or a particular user is copied and then reviewed if necessary. SOX is mandating this for the banking industry.

But that is a way you can 'see' conversations.

But the USB comment is right on. People will do what they will and that is sometimes scary.

Back