Keybaord cleaning

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
well time for spring cleaning is here ;)
I took all the keys off my keyboard (cause it was looking VERY dirty!) and cleaned it out!
I have not seen that much dust, food crumbs and human hair under a keyboard anywhere!

When I saw GATACA I thought they were joking/exagerating when the guy cleaned out his keyboard daily so that they wouldnt find hair samples and stuff like that. Man did I get a wake up call today :p

Now my keyboard is clean, and crumb free hehhe, just like when I bought it. How often do you clean off your macs ? :)

I did that very thing about a month ago (first cleaning since I got it in late 2000), and it wasn't exactly what one would call a pretty site.
It's amazing how hair of some length can worm its way down there.

Every hour, you never know when thei're coming...

No, really, whenever I start to see that it's the dirtyest place in the house...

Take a ruler, a knife...anything slim and hard. Slide it between 2 keys and bend it over...a key should fly off in no time. Beware of the big ones, they are tightened with a bar too...they might be hard to place again...

I just got my keyboard with my Power Mac in december so I haven't really had to clean it yet. It's actually stayed cleaner than I thought. Just some windex on a paper towel to the top of the keys every few weeks so I'm able to see the letters and it's usually fine :p

Now my Performa keyboard is another story. Half of the keys don't come back up again after you push down, I'm just afraid if I take them off I won't be able to get them to stay back on :eek:

I use a butter knife to get the keys off. DO it gently so that they wont fly into orbit :p
The space, shit, zero (on the num pad) and a couple of other keys have little metar parts under them.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
I use a butter knife to get the keys off. DO it gently so that they wont fly into orbit :p
The space, shit, zero (on the num pad) and a couple of other keys have little metar parts under them.

Wow! I can't say I've ever seen that key before :p

Oh, wait, isn't that located on Windows keyboards next to the space bar? :p :D

Hey guys.. What you do with your keyboards? My keyboard came with my iMac (purchased at the end of 1999) and I have only have to clean the lefthand side Apple-key... All others are clean and have worked well...

But I can see that there is somekinda mud under the keys, but it don't matter.. yet...

btw. This Apple USB Keyboard (with power button) is much more easier to clean than my old PowerMac 4400's keyboard... it was so dirty.. always.. eventhough I cleaned it often...

In this USB-keyboard there is somekinda plate under they keys... Only a piece of paper and a couple seconds and it is clean...

My PC keyboard here at work (Logitech) .. just a standard keyboad, has had pepsi spilled on it .. completely inside it about 3 times. I would have to take the top of the keyboard off, then take it completely apart. Im talking, once the top is off, there is about 4 or 5 layers inside; a metal plate, the board that holds the keys, and 2 plastic sheets with connectors on them for they keys to hit and make a connect. Then i have to wash it all, and let it all dry. I ended up just leaving the top off of the keyboard since I figured i would just spill more shit on it. Hopefully I dont do that to my Apple Pro keyboard. I would shit a brick since it would probably break it and Apple charges what.. $80 for a new one!?

Back