keyboard mapping in Xfree86?

gronos

Registered
I got XFree86 running as an X-windows server and client on OSX and everything was great....and THEN I decided to try to get the option and apple keys working using Xmodmap to modify my keyboard mapping. Now, even though I also got the Icewm working on XFree86, I get no response when I type into any of my terminal windows. I can't figure out how to get back to my default keyboard mapping so that it works again. Can anyone tell me where the X windows keyboard mapping table is located and where I can download a version to replace the one I buggered up. Thanks.

Rich G.

After scanning a number of man pages I tried putting a default xkbmap command into my .xinitrc file. This worked and now X-windows works with the icewm, a reasonable window manager for X.

Rich G

I have the same problem. xfree86 worked fine, then suddenly the next time i loaded it up, none of my terminal windows would recognize anything i typed into them. what exactly can you do to fix this? thanks

What I did was run a .xinitrc file that runs setxkbmap (and runs the icewm that I installed) that is shown below. Then I restarted X and everything worked again.

#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.4 91/08/22 11:41:34 rws Exp $

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi

#if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
# xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f $userresources ]; then
xrdb -merge $userresources
fi

#if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
# xmodmap $usermodmap
fi

setxkbmap -geometry macintosh -keymap macintosh

# start some nice programs
exec icewm &

#twm &
xeyes -geometry 80x50-95+1 &
xclock -geometry 80x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login

Thanks for the info. unfortunately it still doesn't restore keyboard functionality. i read on the man pages about another command, kbd_mode -a that should fix my problem (i found out that it might have been caused by exiting X windows from XAqua in the finder without logging out first) but the kbd_mode command is not installed...where could i find this ? thanks

Back