keyboard

benny33

Registered
all of a sudden my keyboard isnt working right..the caps lock doesnt work/the tab key isnt working and the escape key isnt working..now this happened before and i fixed it and have no clue what i did..anyone have any ideas..there is quite a few keys and tricks i dont know..thanks..BeNNY

all of a sudden my keyboard isnt working right... now this happened before and i fixed it ... anyone have any ideas..

Your problem mirrors almost exactly one I had about 3 years ago.

Suggestions:
1. Assuming you're using a peripheral keyboard (ie. not a laptop), I found that if I picked up the keyboard by each end, thumbs parallel with each end edge, and twisted my hands in opposing directions about one inch (25 mm), the keyboard worked again until such time as I hit the keys too hard and the problem reoccurred.
[In the end the k/b failed altogether so I replaced it. The fault turned out to be a crack in the circuit board beneath the key contacts.]
2. Another possible reason is a dodgy keyboard cable -> computer connection (you don't say what type). Check that. Has the k/b cable been pinched between something? That can cause problems.
3. Disconnect the keyboard. Hold it upside down and tap the base with the ends of your fingers. I've found that will dislodge small bundles of dust fluff.
4. With the k/b still upside down, vacuum powerfully with a brush accessory, making sure the bristles get right in amongst the keys.

If you need to replace the k/b, buy a Win-intended one, they're cheap enough and they work fine with OS X. I prefer them to Apple's clunky units.

If you need to replace the k/b, buy a Win-intended one, they're cheap enough and they work fine with OS X. I prefer them to Apple's clunky units.
Clunky? I have one and I think it's great.

_AppleKeyboard-20080518-234047.png

Eh, yeah, the new aluminum keyboard I bought to replace my old one is about as unclunky as it gets. :)

Back