Keychain can't be repaired

stanhoffman

Registered
Suddenly Keychain stopped working, requiring me to enter my password every time I check mail.

Keychain FirstAid Repair gives:

Repair started
Checking keychain configuration for Stan (user ID=501)
Home directory is /Users/stan
Checked login keychain
Error: login keychain not found
Repair terminated unexpectedly

I've tried creating a new keychain with KeyChain Access, but it says merely: "An error occured while trying to create a new keychain."

Keychain window is currently completely empty.

I received some help from tech support on this site:

Try moving the Keychanin Preference file (com.apple.keychainaccess.plist) to the Desktop, restart and try Keychain.

The file is located here;

User/Library/Preferences

If that doesn't help, move this file to the Desktop;

'login.keychain'

Located in User/Library/Keychains

This works temporarily. But a few logins later, the problem recurs all over again. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the 10.4.8 update. Is there any way to fix this permanently? Thanks.

Will repair permissions. Tried the Master Keychain Reset, but after executing the command all I get is another system prompt, no message about what was done. Thanks for the tips and and further help.

Well, it's still not working. Attempting to reset keychain results in: DL_MDS_ERROR. Mail will not retain passwords for accounts (I only have two). Is there a way to disable Keychain? Would that allow Mail to retain account passwords?

Have you tried removing all your keychains in Keychain Access, then re-creating the keychains when prompted?

Back