Keychain Issue - Safari the cause?

ny156uk

Registered
Hi,

I previously posted a keychain problem by accident in the intel-mac forum, so i'm posting it here - with an update to where i'm at.

System: iBook G4, running OS 10.3.9 (Panther(?)), Airport Extreme card, no extra hardware/software apart from the standard programs.

Issue: The Keychain seems to be corrupt/problematic. Basically sometimes the 'lock' icon in system-preferences will flicker instead of locking/unlocking when I click it. If this is happening i'm not able to delete items from my trash - nor can i load the keychain-access program (it asks me to create a keychain when I do). Safari crashes whenever I click to open bookmarks-menu (even though it is empty) and this causes the keychain to error.

Things I've tried (that haven't fixed it):

*reinstalled Mac OS but retained my data (forget the name of the install method)
*Deleted existing keychains and replaced with brand-new ones
*Reinstalled Safari
*Updated all my software with software-update feature
*Created a new user entirely and deleted all old users
*Ran the keychain-repair program - If the keychain is working ok it says no errors found, if not it tells me I need to reinstall the software
*Ran disk permissions - small number of problems found and fixed - no improvement

I'm reasonably techie but have a windows-background (college/work wise) so i'm not 100% sure about the keychain system, but i've tried all the things I can imagine - I was amazed that a reinstall of the OS didn't fix the issue, but wonder whether the install I did isn't enough. I really don't want to have to wipe my Hard-disk and start again as it'll be hard to get all my important files (music-library/docs etc) onto another computer.

Anybody have any ideas/come across this problem before?

Sounds like you reinstalled the system with an Archive & Install which preserved your user data/preferences, etc.

Try trashing this file - 'com.apple.keychainaccess.plist'

located here;

user/library/preferences

Back