Keychain problems

Greywood1862

Registered
Is there a circumstance under which a 'login' keychain would be missing? I thought it was created by default using the user's login password and was unlocked when they logged in.

I'm working (long distance) with a friend who's having Keychain problems and can't seem to work this one out. He's got an iMac running 10.4.11. He recently changed his admin password (I don't know why) and Keychain stopped working. Easy enough, run Keychain First Aid. He says that this reports no problems, but the only keychains he has are 'system', 'microsoft_intermediate_certificates', and 'x509 anchors'. This is where I get lost.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Look in the user's home folder /Library/Keychains and see if there is a file named login.keychain. If not then your friend has somehow managed to delete the login keychain. If so, it can be recreated by opening Keychain Access then on the menu bar selecting "File > New keychain..." The new keychain can be named anything you want including "login" but be sure to give the new keychain the same password as the user account password. Select the new keychain and on the menu bar click on File > Make the new keychain name default.

Of course the keychain will have to be repopulated, but there will be a keychain.

Back