Keychain

barbaradawn

Registered
I had OS 10.3.9 installed (paid someone to do it) on my iMac earlier this year. Myself, my husband, my 3 teenagers use the computer, and we each have our own accounts. None of us is proficient. We mainly use it for internet access, e-mail, word processing and photos.

A couple of weeks ago, I changed the passwords on the kids' accounts (I am administrator). I have not done this before. Now, Keychain is giving us hell. I didn't even know it was there before. My immediate problem is I can no longer get my mail at mac.com. I have run Keychain Firstaid, for each account. It initially detected problems, it repaired them. It no longer detects problems.

I am confused. When I try to get e-mail, I get "Enter password for account dot mac", and "The .Mac server “mail.mac.com” rejected the password for user “barbaradawn”" when it try my password. I'm pretty sure I have the right password, because I use the same one for everything.

Any suggestions?

Barbaradawn,

Reading through your post and the steps you've already tried (pulling plists) I don't believe your problem is with the keychain, but is with the .Mac password. A simple test would be to go to www.apple.com/dotmac/ and try to log in to your .Mac account. If you cannot login there is a link there for those who have forgotten thier passwords. If it turns out to really be an issue with your keychain, and since you do not use the keychain for anything special (such as storing credit card numbers or bank account passwords) you can simply go to MacintoshHD/Users/"your home folder"/Library/Keychains and delete the login keychain file.. this will remove all keychain info and you will likely be prompted to reset the keychain to default settings the next time you launch Mail but it will remember your information after that.

Again though, I really think you're going to find this is .Mac password issue

Hope this helps, Carl

You need to trash your login keychain.

You can find it by going to ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain

You need to trash the file login.keychain. Once you go back into mail or safari it will say that your keychain has been reset. You need to revert it back to default and then type in your password and it will accept it... hopefully :) it just worked for me and i had the same problem.

Back