Keychain

ttypicalme

Registered
Ok, so I forgot my administrator password, and I did the install disc and changed my password. Now, all of a sudden, when I try to go on MSN, it asks for a keychain password. I have no idea what a keychain even is. I've never seen it before. How do I get rid of it? I've never set up a keychain nor had a password for anything, can anyone help me???

Usually, the keychain password is the same, as default, as your admin password. More than likely, if you never set up keychain, the admin password should work.

right i had the same problem this guy had. so i reset the password from the install disk, which was fine, but now keychain won't accept my new password and will not go away! garrrggh.

it's definately not the same as my admin password, but there's not many ways to mistype a single letter....

what is it? if i reset the keychain password, will i forfeit all of my saved keychains?

The keychain password is set by default as your initial admin password. Thus, if you forget that admin password, you've forgotten your Keychain password as well. If you reset your Admin p/w via the install disc, it does NOT change the Keychain p/w.

And yes, if you can't remember it, you're pretty much sunk. Resetting the keychain password involves completey resetting the entire keychain, AFAIK.

i only have ever had 4 passwords, and it isn't any of these. what else could it be?

if not, how do i reset my keychain?

the login is fine, it's the main keychain that's screwed. i can modify any of the keychain, because i need the password to do so. i don't have that. it's changed.

As everyone else has said, if you've forgotten your Keychain password, you've got to reset your main keychain-which would involve losing all your other passwords in that keychain. You'll have to re-enter those passwords.

I had the same problem (forgot my Keychain password) and looked high and low for another way. Unfortunately, there seems to be no other way to fix this.

Unfortunately, all you can do when you forgot your keychain password - is to forget that particular keychain. :(
It is 128bit encrypted, and is is ment to be locked for anybody who cannot supply the correct password.

You can reset the login.keychain, the old version will be saved but not be used. When you old password some day comes back in mind, you then can access it.

Sorry for not more help.

no that's fine. i've renamed login.keychain "login.keychain1", which should have reset it?

i can now start entering passwrods for everything now, although i'm convinced it's changed itself, as my password has never fluxuated from the 4 that i use, and it's definately not any of them...

Actual I ment in Utilities/Keychain Access, Preferences, General - Reset my Keychain, but if renaming the old one works for you it shall be fine.

BTW, Keychain Access is really worth checking it out!
If you want to read about it too, there's a fine article at O'Reillys MacDevCenter

kinda irritated that all my passwords are gone, but like i say, it's one of four, so won't take much to put them all in again.

Back