Keynote vs. Powerpoint

Originally posted by lionsweb
There should be a free VIEWER, of course, to encourage people to use it.

There is...QuickTime Player...errr...Preview...errr...Acrobat Reader...

yea, but we don't want to confuse windows' users who will insist that it is not compatible with anything they have - better slap QT player into a new package and call it keynote viewer. :D

The QT movie export could be cool, but wouldn't be user controlable (aside from hitting play/pause between slides i guess).

Keynote support interactive QT export (so you can use keyboard to change slides)

i myself cant wait to get the program. I will
use it at work for my presentations using
my laptop to wow the crowd instead of the
boring dreary ppt presentations we all know
and love to hate.

Come on ! Earth is down there, get your feet on it. It takes HOURS, PAID HOURS to write some good software ! I hardly think of any serious CEO to ask his devteam "Dear subjects, I Want This". I think Jobs' image would have suffered from this in his own company, and he doesn't nedd/deserve that !

Get a clue.

Here's a question. How important are the keynotes for Apple and Jobs? If you answer anything but "very" get the hell out. Thousands of people tune in or pay to watch these things. It makes sense to have an "ace in the hole" with Keynote. It happens with all companies. I work at state university and we even write our own programs. (Yes, people get paid to do it!)

i'll throw in with the position that is almost a certainity that the app was written for specific in house use. even little companies get specific software developed for their individual needs. i once dated a woman who made her living off doing just that for companies. most of her apps were never seen by people outside the company she developed them for - but the companies obviously found them useful enough to pay for.

who knows how many more 'personal desire' apps apple has hidden up it's sleeve. you can bet keynote isn't the only one. hell, look at versiontracker and note how many apps are given away after the author spent the time to make something they personally needed. or sold as shareware for that matter. neccesity is still the mother of invention and it always starts with one person becoming aware of what they need. i have, on more than one occasion, remarked in these forums about how i would like to see a certain app developed and then seen it appear on VT shortly afterwards. coincidence? maybe. but probably not. ;)

Originally posted by edX
i have, on more than one occasion, remarked in these forums about how i would like to see a certain app developed and then seen it appear on VT shortly afterwards. coincidence? maybe. but probably not. ;)

you're just trying to flaunt your pull on the scene, Ed! :p

not really - go ahead - test it. what little simple app have you been wanting for a specific task that you think 'there must be other people who want this as well'? the one that is constantly on my wish list isn't simple so it won't work. in fact maybe we should start a thread somewhere and make a list and see how many turn up. :D

that's an interesting idea....i say go for it with the thread.

nothing really interests me with new apps - all i do is pretty much taken care of.

and you know that i was just messin' with ya anyways.

:D

meanwhile, as we're debating whether people develop software or it magically appears on the desktop, there is a more pointed discussion of keynote and powerpoint going on here.

perhaps we should get this thread back on that track and let the other thread go back to PC journalist bashing. :D

Now I'm confused... all the detour signs are being put up... which way is the can? Oh no, wait, which thread are we in now?

let's see, you were about to tell me about how education users don't amount to a hill of beans i think :D

I think keynote is one of the precursers to a stronger reason for wintel users to switch. Could be complete by the end of the year and will solidify's apple's position as the place where the hardware and software are created to work seamlessly together. Imagine if you are in the market for a new computer. You need the hardware and software to get yourself up to speed. When you add the cost of the office suite to your new computer, you have added $500. Imagine if your options included an apple with a simple, elegant suite of products where you are ready to go right out of the box: email, multimedia, word-processing, spreadsheets etc, fully optimized for your computer (ilife, mail, ical, isync, keynote, safari and a much improved appleworks or replacement product). You will have a lot less hesitation switching operating systems if you knew the software was preinstalled and seamlessly compatible for industry standard products. And this could also ensure apple is prepared when microsoft closes the mac business unit. But with a high-quality suite of apple products no one would miss the departure, and swittchers would have fewer concerns.

I've been preparing presentations for a consulting company for years. And I can tell you, they _did_ want presentations that worked. They didn't want to lull the customers, they wanted to *explain* to them how what works. It was also important to create a vertical graphical language in a presentation, so you could inform the CEO with the same presentation as the worker. Also, if you cared to listen to Steve Jobs, he was talking about presentations like the one he gave at MWSF. I personally wouldn't want his presentations to look bad. Nor would the CEO of Mercedes Benz at his annual conference. They all want the presentations to look good. That's why it's not secretaries with PowerPoint making those presentations, but graphics departments with either Acrobat or Director (or even Flash). And yes, there Keynote definitely helps. It brings some ease of use and style to people who _don't_ have a graphics department. Just like Steve said. He was perfectly right. Also, everybody seems to forget that it's 99$ and it's PowerPoint compatible! Why not see it as an extension to Office, if you can't see it as a product by itself?

And this could also ensure apple is prepared when microsoft closes the mac business unit.

I doubt they'd do that, Jade. Even though MS does seem to behave as if they'd like all their competition to go away, and even though they are no longer required under any agreement to produce Office on the mac.

And why? Because the Macintosh BU accounts for just under 10% of Microsoft's sales. Becuase Office is the #1 selling application for the Mac.

To get back on topic though, I am really looking forward to getting my hands on Keynote. Over the past twelve months I've seen so many PowerPoint presentations I could scream, and I've begged at least a dozen people to use a little more imagination. In my university they use it to teach Multimedia! :eek: I am not kidding.

I still haven't been able to play with my copy of keynote much, but the reason I picked it up is that I see it as the Final Cut Express of the presentatioin software - somewhere between powerpoint and director.

The overall strategy of the mid-range application is a nice signal that there is more depth to the mac than the black and white world of professional application vs. home hobby.

Now, if only a plug-in for good taste in execution shipped with every machine.

i have a stupid question... with keynote can you export a file that will play on a pc? alot of corporations dont exactly have a mac setup to a large screen, its usually a pc :eek: but if keynote can export a compatible stand alone player (kinda like director) that would be very cool.

Back