killing process in finder

travelgz

Registered
Hi,
So I had this mounted drive on my desktop connected to a shared folder on Windows 2000 through smb. No problem. Until the person who owns that computer shuts it down and left with no warning. Nothing bad happens. Yet. Then when I clicked on finder in an attempt to shutdown and leave work as well, bam! The rainbow spinner starts twirling whenever finder is in the foreground, which means I can't shutdown!

So how can I forcefully shutdown when finder is not responding? (I held down the mouse button on the finder icon on the dock and it just says it ain't responding.) On X-Win I could open a differfent console and just type shutdown now. does something like that happen? Is there a force quit on finder without damaging the the system integrity (like the power button).

On that note, can I like ssh into an OSX book and shutdown from an ssh session? Something like shutdown?

Thanks!
G

Command-option-esc. That's your ctrl-alt-delete ;)

It'll bring up a nice 'lil window that usually knows what program isn't responding. In the case of the Finder, the button will say "Relaunch"

As far as rlogins go, that needs to be turned on. It's defaulted to off for securtity... As well as 90% of the networking options. Breaking into OS X isn't any easier than 8.6!

Later.

OK, thanks for the key-combo trick.

What is cmd-alt-esc? Didn't that mean something in 8.6?

Now, as for rlogin, I am not sure what that is referring to. I was talking about ssh and it works. The question was, whether ssh, rlogin, telnet, or whatever, once I get a console prompt remotely, is there a way to shut down (or restart) the OS X machine? On Linux and Solaris (hence, I believe all unix), you can log onto such a machine remotely and do some shutdown or init 6 sort of trick with root access. Ditto for Darwin or not? Sorry, ditto for OS X or not?

Thanks,
G

cmd-opt-esc has always been 'force quit'. Previous to MacOSX, though, it never really worked consistently, if at all. I figure in all my years of using Macs of various versions, force quit only worked about 20% of the time. Usually, it would just hang up the machine, causing the reset button to be the most useful button on the machine.

As for remote shutdowns through ssh, all you need do is a 'halt', and it will power off as well. Also, 'reboot' does just what it says. I do believe that you need to either be root do do it, or use sudo, but either way, it works very well. And, yes, ditto for Darwin... :)

OK, before I type "reboot" or "halt", I want to make sure that it is a "normal" shutdown the same way if I had chosen "shutdown" from the apple menu in Acqua. Right? This is a normal shutdown if I type those commands either from a telnet session opened from OS X on that machine or from remote ssh, right?

Now, will there be a warning to the user using the OS X that someone remotely will shut you down?

Thanks again!
G

reboot/halt are the slightly more rude versions, they will cleanly reboot or halt by closing processes out first, but won't send any notification to users. If you want notification, and perhaps to give a little time, use shutdown:

shutdown -r now

will reboot (-r) now, but sends a quick message to users logged on (use -h to halt).

shutdown -r +5

will reboot in five minutes. See the manpage for other ways to use shutdown.

Back