Kodak USB Card Reader with Jaguar?

johnkershaw

Registered
The USB CompactFlash card reader that came with my Kodak DC3800 digital camera worked fine in OS 9, but never in X, at least as far as 10.1.5

Anyone know if it's possible to get this thing working in 10.2.3 now I've upgraded? It's the only reason I ever boot OS 9 now :(

Unfortunately, the drivers on that page are for 8.6-9.X, where 9.X means 9.1 to 9.2.2 (the page is dated December 2000, ie pre-OSX)

The only OS X page Kodak seems to have is this one:
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib4287.shtml;#SEC818

which itself is nearly a year old. It says:

"KODAK USB Card Reader Compatibility
If you use the KODAK USB Picture Card Reader to transfer your images to a MACINTOSH computer, the card reader does not work either natively or in Classic mode in a MAC OS X environment."

Some people had success using a MicroTek driver, but I never got that to work on 10.1 (lots of kernal panics)

That is a shame. I have a Memory stick USB reader/writer. All I had to do was plug it in. No driver needed.

Have you tired connecting the camera direct to the computer?

There's no output on the DC3800. You have to remove the CF card and insert it into a reader. Every other Kodak camera is OS X compatible out of the box. Guess I'm just lucky :/

You do have another option. See if you can find a third party CF reader. Or if you are just interested in printing the pictures, check out the HP Photosmart 130 (they do have a model 230, i think that has an LCD view screen to view the pictures). The little baby prints out a thumbnail picture, wallet or 4X6. And it has slots for all media from cameras.
And the output is outstanding!

Okay, you got me. I lied. Well, bent the truth to simplify the explanation.

I actually have a Kodak PPM200 printer, which has CF and SM slots on the front. And that's all I use it for: CF card into the printer, copy the photos to the directly attached Zip drive, then pop the Zip disc out, insert into my other Zip drive (!) and copy to HD. It works, but it's not pretty.

And yes, I could buy an identical looking CF reader from Zio or whatever. It just seems wasteful when I have a perfectly good USB card reader here on my desk (says the man who uses two Zip drives and a printer to do the same job...)

If I can't get a driver that works I may buy a new reader anyway, but one that can read all of the various card formats that now exist.

But a driver for this one would be nice :)

According to this page:
http://usbat2.sourceforge.net/

the Kodak USB card reader uses the same internal chip as the Zio CF reader (they're writing a driver for Linux, not OS X). So I tried the Jaguar version of the MicroTech Zio driver:
http://www.microtechint.com/downloads

and it seems to work! I've tried plugged & unplugged the reader several times and no kernal panics! Hurrah!

So... anyone want a Kodak PPM200? Buyer collects or pays postage from Leeds, UK. It's an extremely high quality photo printer, but the cartridges are very expensive. Otherwise it's going in a skip :(

Steve's Digicams review: "the printer has a wonderful dynamic range and delivers true photo-quality prints."
http://www.steves-digicams.com/ppm200.html

At least I think I've traced it to that driver.

It seems that out of the blue I started getting Kernel panics as I put my machine (AGP PowerMac 500Mhz, 512MB RAM) to sleep.

After updating permissions, booting from the OS X disk and running Disk Utility, I finally unplugged all my USB devices and tried each, one by one. The only time I got the panic was when my Kodak USB Picture Card was plugged in.

I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but thought I'd pass it along.

10.1 or 10.2?

I had kernal panics every time I tried it up to 10.1.5 but all is working fine since I upgraded to 10.2.3

John.

I'm running 10.2.3.

I did install the Developer version of Java 1.4.1, so I'm going to try and remove that and see if it makes a difference. That's the only other software I've installed recently...

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's the same driver that's used by the Zio, and since I've unistalled it, my crashes have ended.

There must be a conflict with something else in my system since it works well for others.

Thanks again...

Marc

Back