KVM Switch install - PC/Mac (?)

JonKemerer

Registered
Just curious, I hear a lot of talk about about these KVM switches being used for the Mac Mini. I currently have two PC's with a seperate monitor, mouse and KB, one I'm retiring to get a Mini. Trick is, with the buzz of this KVM hickiemadoo, I'd like to get rid of some of this equipment if I can. I've never owned a Mac before, always wanted to... but at the risk of going into the same old sad violin song... I just want to try one.

The problem is, I don't see KVM switch manufacturers explicitly stating that PC/Mac configuration are possible. None give any kind of FAQ's on them. My question is: are there switches out there that definately work with PC's and Mac's? Is the image quality on both computers as good as if they had their own monitors? I have a wireless keyboard and mouse by Microsoft, the reciever has a USB (for mouse) and PS/2 (for keyboard) output(s), are there any that support this?

Just thought I'd ask here. Seems Mac users are always friendly at welcoming newcomers. If you could help me out I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

I used to have a USB KVM switch, that I had my Mac, Windows & Linux box hooked up to a single keyboard (my mac keyboard) and monitor. Didn't notice any loss of video quality. It all worked really well. Didn't use PS/2 keyboard at all, just USB & Video.

I don't remember the brand I used, I just bought it at Microcenter. It wasn't a "Mac" model by any means, just a USB KVM.

Oh, I also have a wireless dell keyboard & mouse that I have off my Dell (that I rarely ever use) but anyhow... I was working on a G4 system for a family member and I plugged the Dell wireless dongle thingy in the back of the G4 and the keyboard and mouse worked flawlessly.

Thanks guys, at least I know a little more about these things. I'll loose the keyboard and mouse, but there's always eBay....

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Back