KVM switch to work with Mac?

corimay

PeanutButter
I'm thinking about picking up a used KVM switch (either Belkin or Linksys), and I want to know how I could get it to work with my Mac and PC. They're serial ports, so I figured I could just use regular USB-to-Serial adapters. Will that work though? On the Belkin site, they sell a KVM Mac adapter for 155.00 so it will work with their serial KVM switches. If I'm going to spend 155.00, then I might as well get a USB KVM switch that works w/ Macs and PC's! So I want to make sure I can use this serial KVM w/o having to spend a lot for it to work w/ my Mac.

Oh, I'm using a Viewsonic monitor, Mac OSX, PC WinXp, Apple Pro keyboard and Microsoft Wirless mouse.

Thanks

Can't speak for serial-usb, but I know that going serial - ps2 for mice is very problematic. I've had it work on some kvm's and not others. As well as some pc's and not others. If I was going the kvm route for current machines, I'd just spring for a "real" usb model, unless you can verify for sure that the kvm you intend to get will work with the machines you have (i.e. however you get it, make sure you can return it if you can't get it to work with EVERY machine).

Back