LaCie 250GB not mounting

weckart

Registered
I have had this for about a few months with no previous problems. All of a sudden it decides it does not want to mount on any of my machines.

I normally have it attached to my PB running 10.4.3 on FW800. I attached it to another laptop running XP under FW400 and it refused to mount - it would not even show under Disk Management. I tried again on my iBook - no go. Tried USB, same result. Went back to my PB under FW800 - still will not mount. I cannot detect anything under Disk Utility or System Profiler.

On starting up, the disk spins and makes the usual noises and the blue light goes on and remains steady, so I am not sure whether the LaCie controllers have gone, whether the controller on the hard disk is toast or if the power brick is underperforming. I have heard that the latter is often responsible for giving the impression that something is broken because it only just gives enough juice to power the LaCie.

It is still under warranty, but I want to try everything first before taking it back as I have plenty of business info (mine and third party) backed up on this that I need and would not like bandy about to all and sundry. I understand that if it goes back to LaCie then all the info is guaranteed to be lost.

What are your thoughts?

I think you've messed things up when you tried mounting it on XP. My bet is that the drive has been formatted as a mac drive. XP is un-able to do anything constructively with that, and very possibly has destroyed some information about the drive format.

You'll have to try a disk repair program.

Not when you have Macdrive installed on XP, it doesn't..

However, the problem is more than unrecognised partitions - the physical hardware, itself, is not recognised by either XP or OS X. Disk repair programs have nothing to work with until I can get the disk shown in Disk Utility at least.

OK - then it's some kind of hardware problem.

Three possibilites
1) the firewire port has burned out
2) the controller board has burned out
3) the harddisk itself is toast

1) and 2) are just bad luck, but you can easily salvage your data by moving the harddisk itself to another cabinet

3) is shitty bad luck and you data can only be salvaged by data resque firms

If lacie can't guarantee that if the issue is 1) or 2) that your data'll be safe then it's very bad service.

At present, I'ld really try to find another cabinet and move the harddisk to that - if for no other reason then to at least take a backup before returning the whole thing to lacie.

Why don'y you open the Terminal as root and type diskutil list. Maybe your lost the partition table of the disk.

My Tiger os won't mount Lacie cd rw 52x 32x52x. Lacie sent update tool and twas no help...Ideas?

i'd create a separate thread for that, "huh?" (not a very lucky choice in name...)

On the thread's subject: How did that come out? Did you put the drive into another case or a computer and try it that way? If you could save your data that way, you could then put it back into the case and have it repaired/exchanged in warranty.

Back