lacie d2 bigdisk extreme startup drive?

case

Registered
Hi all

just a couple of questions for you experts.

1: i have a lacie d2 bigdisk extreme triple interface external drive and wanted to know if its good to use as a start up drive to use things like Diskwarror and techtools.

this one is just curiousity/education.....

2: i also have a formac 250gb backup drive which i didnt think was built for the rigours of running an operating system.
What are the primary differences of the two types of drives?
the both run at the same 7200rpm speed but what are the deal breakers between the 2 drives.

what kind of things are my lacie able to do, what can i run off it - basically apart from just dumping stuff onto the drive to store, what can i potentially use it for.

I presume theres tons of things that it can do, its just that i dont know too much about the differences between storage and backup drives, so excuse me for my ignorance.

thanx all that can help

case said:
Hi all

just a couple of questions for you experts.

1: i have a lacie d2 bigdisk extreme triple interface external drive and wanted to know if its good to use as a start up drive to use things like Diskwarror and techtools.

this one is just curiousity/education.....

2: i also have a formac 250gb backup drive which i didnt think was built for the rigours of running an operating system.
What are the primary differences of the two types of drives?
the both run at the same 7200rpm speed but what are the deal breakers between the 2 drives.

what kind of things are my lacie able to do, what can i run off it - basically apart from just dumping stuff onto the drive to store, what can i potentially use it for.

I presume theres tons of things that it can do, its just that i dont know too much about the differences between storage and backup drives, so excuse me for my ignorance.

thanx all that can help

The Lacie BigDisk drives actually have two hard drives made to look as a single drive with a bridgeboard, essentially a stripe set or RAID 0, making it FAR MORE LIKELY FOR COMPLETE FAILURE THAN A SINGLE DISK, as you will lose the contents of both disks if one of the two fails. For that reason, I wouldn't use it as a critical drive for ANYTHING.

Back