Lacie Ethernet Driver vs. Mac mini

JPigford

I'm awesome...seriously..
So I just got a new Lacie Ethernet Disk mini that I'll be hooking up to my router. I also have a "spare" Mac mini that I thought about using as a file server. Both would just be connected to the router.

Which do you think would be faster in terms of access speeds? The Mac mini or the Lacie drive?

Ultimately I'll just be storing/accessing things like photos and design files.

It depends on the model of the Mac Mini - some have Gigabit ethernet, some don't. Gigabit feels like Firewire 400.

It depends on the model of the Mac Mini - some have Gigabit ethernet, some don't. Gigabit feels like Firewire 400.
Okay...so you're saying if it DOES have Gigabit then it would be better to use and if it DOES NOT then the lacie drive would be better?

The drive you linked has gigabit, and if the Mini does too, then I'm not sure what would be faster, as they have the same network speed, in theory. The Mini uses a notebook drive, but that shouldn't affect speeds too much. Here's a review of the drive, which grades it as having mediocre read/write speeds, compared to high-end disks. The easiest way to tell would be to transfer a large file, and log how long it takes each setup.

The Mac Mini is nice, but the Lacie is meant for file sharing on network, I have one and it's really nice, you can change setting on any computer on the network. Also you can create multiple user accounts very easily. So I would go for the Lacie.

So I just got a new Lacie Ethernet Disk mini that I'll be hooking up to my router. I also have a "spare" Mac mini that I thought about using as a file server. Both would just be connected to the router.

Which do you think would be faster in terms of access speeds? The Mac mini or the Lacie drive?

Ultimately I'll just be storing/accessing things like photos and design files.

The mac mini uses a 2.5" drive which is 'slow' compared to most 3.5" drives. If the LACIE has a 3.5" drive, the drive will be slower. Unless any computer has gigabit, there will be hardly any difference in network speed for both methods, if a computer has gigabit, the server with gigabit will send data quicker to the requesting computer, but retrieval might be slower if the drive is slower.

Good luck, Kees

It also depends if your hubs are Gigabit, and if your wires are Cat 6.

Quite true, but ofcourse you only have a gigabit network if all components are up to cat-6 specs. Still fine to mention it for novice who might be lead by a simple spec to make conclusions.

Good luck, Kees

I am curious if you were able to get the drive to work with a mac and what format you are using. LaCie has told me that the drive will never operate correctly if formatted using Apple's Disk Utility as per the manual.

Back