Lacie hard drive not recognized

voluntarytrade

Registered
I recently downloaded the update to 10.5.9, and since that time, I have had problems with my LaCie external hard drive. For awhile I was simply getting error messages but could still access the drive, but now I can't access it at all. I went into Disk Utility and the drive is still listed, but the options to Repair and Verify were not available. Any thoughts?

My apologies. I meant 10.5.7.

I don't recall the exact wording, but the gist was that I was given "limited access" to the drive.

yea....i'm sorta having such problems with 10.4.11......i connected my friend's 250 gb external hard disk to ma mac and when i try to copy some files to it.....it says "access limited".....while i can do that on windows

i'm a lot backdropped in computer knowledge

What format is the external drive in -- FAT32? HFS+?

If you never "formatted" or "partitioned" your drive when you got it, then most likely it's in FAT32 format (which is decidedly a "Windows-centric" format).

My suggestion would be to reformat the drive to HFS+ ("Mac OS Extended") format for much better compatibility with your Mac, unless you also need to use the drive on a Windows machine.

Formatting, of course, destroys all data -- so you should back up all existing data onto another hard drive before formatting the external drive.

Back