LACIE-removable hard drive not mounting

jim dhf

Registered
LaCie 250GB-400 firewire hard drive has not been able to mount, after upgrading to OSX 10.4.x.

I have tried to resolve the problem with Tech Tools Pro 4.5.1 (the latest version).
Tech Tools show the drive is there, but is unable to confirm that there is a problem.

While the Disk Utility says there is a "Invalid B-Tree node size and it needs to be repaired, Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit."
But when I click Repair Disk, it says "1 HFS volume checked: 1 volume could not be repaired because of an error"

I have upgraded the firmware from LaCie, and followed the Troubleshooting tips and it is still not mounting.

sounds like the problem i had today -
although i am still back on osx 10.3.9
disk utility will see the firewire drive, but it won't show in finder or on desktop as a drive
ie i can't access it!!
disk utility seemed to think the drive is ok though
(it is a vantech nexstar 250GB firewire & USB drive - i think maxtor inside)

any solutions anyone?

I have exactly the same problem with a 3 month old Lacie USB2 drive. Looking through this and other forums it seems its quite a common problem with Lacie drives. You can see the drive in System Profile but no disk utility will see or mount the drive. I've had it suggested that its a faulty logic board and the drive is 'toast'.

Seems to me that these external drives are very unreliable and I for one will be demanding my money back from Lacie and expecting them to recover the lost data.

i pulled my drive out of its enclosure to discover it is actually a seagate barracuda

the disk shows up in disk utility, but as a "ghost"
the computer sees it, but it will not mount
i'm gonna try it in another computer to see if i have any luck there

will try options from supplier
but is data recovery the go do you think?
does it work, or dependant on the situation?

thanks,
mb

I suppose it depends on the data as it can be very expensive. I don't really know much about hardware so wouldn't know if the Logic Board is a replaceable item.

I had the same problem. I gave up and purchased a $10 enclosure, moved the drive to it and it has been perfect ever since!

Joe

Back