LAN and OSX - Advice needed please!

Icesplice

Registered
Hi guys,

I have been struggling with an answer that I would like answered. I hope some of you might be able to help me find that answer.

I have three different OSX machines at home, two desktop, and a g4 ibook, and have finally gotten around to setting up a wireless network. This means I now get the luxury to carry the iBook around the house, and continue working other than my office. Great! But one issue I would like to fix, I have to log into my main OSX box in my office to check my email .

I have been doing this through VNC, but would like to be able to have a copy of my email on both machines (G4 office box, and iBook). I find that when I am writing a big email, the lag bothers me. Is there an easy way to get my email to share itself to the two machines, other than keeping all my email in my POP mailbox?

This also got me to thinking, is there a way that one can log in,and use a users home directory from one machine on another. Example - I log into my G4 office box, and run the apps email and files on my iBook over the network. Of course, if I can do this, I don't need to get the email issue working.

Any ideas guys? Im sure someone has thought of these issues before, and it would help me cut out allot of fiddle time, after all, thats why I moved from a PC to a Mac in the first place...

Thanks in advance...

-Icesplice

Im not sure exactly what you mean, but you could try running remote desktop on your machines... That way you can control you desktops from your laptop.

To access your files from your other drives, have you tried connecting via the network in your finder window ? This should be a pretty simple way to transfer your files etc.

As for your mail, Could you can set up a mail account with the same settings on both machines. This will be a royal pain, but you would have a copy of all your emails on both machines.

I hope this answers/or even makes sense.

D

Back