Laptop changing ip address

Zeigan

Registered
I have a speedstream (seimens) 802.11b router. I have my powerbook and a windows computer. The router is using mac address filtering and an ip range. No wep.

My laptop is self assigning its ip address almost everyday. It is set to retrieve one from the router (using dhcp). Lately i have not taken my laptop out of the apt much, so i know it is not picking up other networks. When i do, it switches just fine.

The windows computer has not dropped the connection in the past week and is working great. In order for me to get my laptop to work again, i have to unplug and replug the router and assign an ip address within the range that the router uses, then switch back to automatically retrieve address to get it within the range.

This is getting very annoying as it switches out almost everyday and sometimes 2-3 times a day. I reinstalled OsX and it is still occuring which leads me to believe it is something hardware based.

Is the airport card in my laptop dying or would you make a guess that it is the router? Any ideas?

Oh yeah, my apt shares an ethernet connection. I am not sure if it is a t-1/cable/dsl, but i think it is cable. Last fall, i had this problem, but it was the win pc unable to connect but the laptop worked fine. I ignored it and it seemed to fix itself. Kind of screwy.

Without changing anything on the router, why not set a manual IP instead of DHCP? Don't use one of the numbers within the range of DHCP numbers used by the router but keep it within the same subnet. In other words if the router assigns numbers in the 192.168.1.100 to 150 range, set a static IP to 192.168.1.201, subnet 255.255.255.0 and router address the same as your routers internal IP (maybe 192.168.1.1).

I think i tried that before and when i switched wireless zones it didnt always allow me to have that ip. That may have been before i 10.2 came out.

It has worked fine for the last week, until today. Had to restart it again. oh well, ill just deal with it until wireless g gets all of its problems fixed and upgrade to that.

Back