Laser printers?

J5

certified wanker
Hey all - my sister has an imac - she's a photographer, so I told her to get the epson 740 inkjet when she bought the imac. It's an older, 350mhz model. I just put 10.1.5 on it for her.

She'd been having trouble with her printer lately, and is thinking about getting cable instead of dial-up. Just built a new office as well. If she goes cable, I'd like to set her up with a laser printer. A few questions tho first:

the inkjet is doing some funky stuff - basically printing strange lines within images, text is awful. I'd hate to see her buy a new printer if she doesn't need it - is this a problem with the printer head alignment, and can I adjust it under X?

If that isn't the case, can anyone recommend a decent (possibly networkable) laser printer that works with X?

Any input would be awesome!

j4+=1;

Based on my experience, and that of others I know, I have come to the conclusion that inkjets are simply not abe to produce good quality output. In this regard I have yet to see one that can print text even in the same ballpark as the worst laser printer I've ever seen.

You may be able to fiddle with the alignment under OS X, but I don't think it will matter. Inkjets just... stink.

I am leaning toward an HP LaserJet 1200 myself. It is priced under $400, has USB, and PostScript. I hear favorable things about it on UseNet. I believe it is networkable and it is on the list of supported OS X printers.

B&W laser printer -Brother 1670N -network printer, works great in 9 and X. No color though.

The Epson 740 is not very good at printing pictures. There is an Epson Photo and HP has several Photosmart ink jets that are super.

You should be able to clean the ink heads and do an alignment on the 740. That will give an improvement and get rid of those lines. If you can't find the tools icon in OS X (it should be in the print dialog box), then boot to OS 9. Open a document (even create one saying test), then hit the apple and p keys. The next screen should have several icons at the top. Select the tool icon. Now make sure you have plain paper in the printer and do a cleaning and an alignment.

Thanks all!
I'll look into those options.

I think we're leaning toward just a simple b&w laser-printer, as she's yet to see any printer do the quailty she wants for photos. She's even complaining about the photo-lab using a digital format, and that the quality isn't as good.

Thanks again!

J5

Back