LaserJet 4L and gimp-print

Chris Belwinds

Registered
I have a LaserJet 4L connected to my "mixed" Jaguar/WinXP network via a DSL router which has a DHCP print server. While the printer works with Windows, I haven't been able to set it up with CUPS and gimp-print 4.2.2. I have followed exactly the given instructions but no pages are being printed. The CUPS browser page reports "print job cancelled" and after a second attempt "client-error-not-possible".

I have tried to connect the damn printer using LDP host (?), http, ipp, and smb always being followed by the IP address. Who happens to have had more luck configuring a HP Laser Jet 4L ???? HELP!!!

Jaguar 10.2.1
iMac 500
512 MB RAM
40 GB HD (two equally large partitions)

Not sure if this helps but I got my Samsung and Brother LaserJets to work with GIMP-PRINT via IP printing what stumpped me was this, I had to uncheck the "use default queue on server" and enter "lp" (LP all lower case in the feild) your printer documentation may state otherwise. That got me up and running...

Print Centre, when you select IP printing from the pulldown menu you will see a box you can check or uncheck not to far below.

It helps to increase the "density" in "manage printers" --> "configure printer" from 1.000 to 2.000.

Printing from within Mail.app is still a bit poor, from within Word v.X it lokks quite convincing! Thanks a bunch, buddy! :)

Back