Latest nighlie of Chimera rocks..

SCARECROW

Shaguar Pimp
Just download today's (8/16).... and it is nice...

They have not revised the toolbar area a bit, with more defined buttons and more choices... like view souce, and a print button...

They have also added the capability of displaying those little icons from websites in the URL toolbar...

It seems to be getting better and better..

If you have not tried a nightlie in awhile, I suggest you try them...

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/chimera/nightly/latest-trunk/Chimera.dmg.gz

The print button has been there for months.

Entering text in large text boxes is still dog slow.

CSS rollover changes (like on this site) are still dog slow -- strange how the "real" Mozilla doesn't have this problem.

I'm test driving it right now... the rollovers work fine for me. And... well, text fields aren't "dog slow" for me, but there is a tiny fraction of a second of a delay..... I wonder if this would be fixed if they made the text fields more Cocoa-like, so that they could us OS X's built-in spell checker.

Well, I'm a fast typer. So, the text box doesn't keep up with me and it *appears* to be awfully slow. Even as I am typing this post, the text is lagging a few words behind me. I have never experienced a problem like this in *any* app other than the Mozilla spawns.

Last I heard, it would be next to impossible to implement true cocoa text boxes in the Gecko framework. Even the current "aqua" widgets in Chimera are not true aqua widgets -- they just copy the pxm#s from aqua and paste them over Gecko's elements.

That's a shame, too, because I do lots of typing through a browser and OmniWeb's text boxes are just *so* much friendlier. Hrmm. Shoot, Gecko/Chimera /whatever can't even move the cursor properly with the arrow keys!

Try this. Type a few sentences with proper punctuation. Add a few extra periods and commas in for the heck of it. Now, hold the option key and press the left arrow. Works fine most of the time. Now, try the right arrow. It stops cold when it hits an end punctuation mark. Option-up and option-down aren't even implemented at all! Neither is control-up and control-down. And the triple-click functionality is half-assed. Rather than select an entire paragraph, it selects the current line and the one line above it. When you're entering long passages of text and have to edit quickly, these keyboard shorcuts are essential.

This browser still needs LOTS of work. If the Chimera guys could get the text boxes working like a proper Mac OS X app should, that would be a mammoth incentive for me to switch.

Plus, the cmd-[ and cmd-] as primary navigation keys really piss me off.

It's a shame these lovely americans don't give a damn about international users. Try those key combos on a swiss keyboard. I think it's just as bad for the german keyboards too.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by starfleetX
Well, I'm a fast typer. So, the text box doesn't keep up with me and it *appears* to be awfully slow. Even as I am typing this post, the text is lagging a few words behind me. I have never experienced a problem like this in *any* app other than the Mozilla spawns.

Testing... testing.... huh... the cursor keeps up with me, mostly. For some reason, for other people it lags, and for other people it does, but just a teeny tiny amount... I have a PowerBook G4 500, and I'm just running AIM and iTunes.... maybe it's a chip thing or something that they need to work out.

erhm... 'mostly'? what does the computer have to do while i enter text that it lags behind me? a mac plus wasn't lagging in macwrite in 1987 when i've first used it. i would have found it strange then if that'd have happened then, and i find it even more strange on a powermac with os x.

i'm a fast typer, too, and i think it's just unbearably slow, because there's no reason for this performance hit. it's not like chimera analyzes whether your fingers and your brain coordinate well, or is it? omniweb 1, chimera 0.

and CSS rollovers are REALLY dog slow in chimera. try http://story.ch - the menu on the upper left. sometimes it's more than a second on my PB G4 - don't wanna see what an iBook does here...?

seems like chimera has big problems wrapping carbon inside of cocoa. maybe a nice carbon wrapper would've been better for this project?

well, looking forward to omniweb 5, for now, 4.1.1sp1 is doing great.

Back