LaTeX: How to install addional fonts?

boyfarrell

Registered
Hi everybody,

Does anybody have experience on how to install additional fonts in LaTeX? I found a few pages on the internet but found them too complicated to follow.

Has anybody done this successfully?

Is this possible with the teTex manager installer 'i-installer'. I used LaTeX with my 10.4 system?

Kind regards,

Daniel.

How do you intend you to use LaTeX? It is a professional typesetting system and not some kind of Print Shop replacement. When you installed teTeX backend, you should have installed the complete collection of standard fonts at that time. There is an alternate backend, xeTeX, which uses the MacOS X font engine. You may install and select xeTeX if you want to use your MacOS X fonts.

Hi,

I use LaTeX to produced paper and reports. Would just like a little more control over the look.

How can I tell what fonts I have installed on my teTeX distribution? I installed the with the 'Full' option in i-installer. So I should have them all available, I guess.

What do you use on you MacOS setup, teTeX or xeTeX? Which one would be easier to use to accomplish playing around with a few fonts? I would really like to use Garamond.

I use TeXShop is it quite easy quite easy to inform it of the back-end changes?

Regards,

Daniel.

You might want to look into the LyX application. It allows more visual editing of TeX-based documents than logical editors like TeXShop. You may also look into Qt-based texmaker. These all use the teTeX frontend. texmaker also requires the Qt/Mac 4.1.0 port of the Qt crossplatform frameworks.

Having given you the information that you asked for, allow me to advise you not to take it. TeX is not intended to be used for visual layout. You are wasting your time and sacrificing the strengths of the TeX system by trying to force it to behave like Word. If you want to do visual editing, then use a visual editor. There are several commercial applications, starting with Microsoft Word, and freeware apps, such as AbiWord, which will do a great job for you.

If you want TeX, then learn the beauty and power of TeX. Don't try to turn it into Word.

Back