Launch at Login not working well, need workaround...

Jasoco

Video Gamer/Collector
Okay, so I have a whole bunch of things set to launch at Login, but there's a bug in the darn thing that makes it so not all apps launch or acknowledge that they have launched and it is annoying.

I have the following set to launch at login..
DragThing
Net Monitor
WeatherPop
MicrosoftMouseHelper
WindowShade X
PTHPasteboard
AquaMon
iTunesHelper

The ones in Bold usually launch. The others do not.

I try rearranging them, but when I do some that DID work stop working. It's all screwy and makes me angry.

So I need a workaround.. a script which I can place in the Login list that will launch the apps for me separately rather than relying on the buggy Login Items list.

But I want it to be seamless. If anything, all I want to launch is maybe an AppleScript applet. I don't want to have to record a script which opens the folder, selects all the items and opens them. That would make me mad. I want them to launch secretly, without me knowing and not interrupt me.

I feel if I can have a script (AppleScript or even Shell Script as long as it doesn't require the Terminal to open) separately open the programs.

I don't know a thing about programming ShellScripts and not much about AppleScripts.

Anyone understand what I mean?

Say hello to the infamous "pbs" bug.

The problem here is that Cocoa apps cannot launch immediately after login because they attempt to connect to the pasteboard server (pbs) which is busy with other tasks. This bug hsa been fixed in the Jaguar builds, but isn't fixed in 10.1.5. The only workaround is to wait for pbs to stop processing before launching said apps.

No, I can't help you with the AppleScript. I just wanted to be sure you understood the problem at hand. It is a very well known issue and, as I said, has already been fixed for Jaguar.

Back