Launch CFM

kcmac

Registered
Some have reported that quitting this app will increase the speed of OSX.

What would be the negative ramifications of doing this?

everything would look fine for about a week to a month, then one day your computer won't start, then you'll have to insert the OS X install CD to fix it, and since you downloaded 5G64 GM version 2.4.3.GM from alt.hackintosh, you'll be downgraded back to 10.0.4 and have to find the 10.1 download again

:D

-solrac-

Who knows exactly what Launch CFM does? I'm kinda looking for the nitty-gritty technical details here too...

Usually if Apple has something installed, and more importantly on, there's a reason for it. VM for 9 was a great example...

Please satiate my geek brain's need for knowledge!
:D

Well, CFM is Code Fragment Manager, which is (I believe) the way shared libraries work on newer OS's pre-X (8 and 9 I think). See About the Code Fragment Manager

Then there's the fact that LaunchCFM is located in /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/Current/Support; the important part being Carbon.

Finally, a 'strings LaunchCFM' says (among other things):

Usage: LaunchCFMApp <CFM file>

So it probably is some kind of glue to run Carbon apps compiled for X and pre-X versions (as opposed to Carbon apps compiled only for X, which are Mach-O).

Of course, this is all speculation, so this could be completely wrong...

Back