LCD constrast ratio question...

case

Registered
Hi all

Im in the market for a lcd monitor as i think my beloved diamond pro 920 is displaying my icc profiles (sRGB) incorrectly

i have been made aware of the importance of constrast ratios as i am doing print/screen based design and image work.

so my simple question to you all is -

what is a good constrast ratio i.e: 500:1 etc

In fact, which ratio should i avoid at all cost and which other attributes should i be looking at for a good solution at a budget.

My limit is within the £400 mark and im currently looking at the formac range (20")

For the spec, resolution and budget for a whole host of reasons my reccomendation would be the Formac Gallery 2010 Oxygen.....

Personally I would try to find another CRT. None of the LCDs that I've used have been very good with color profiles (especially in relationship to printing). Until I can either afford an Apple Display or LaCie LCD, I think I am going to wait for the technology to catch up.

i have a 20" apple display, which currently sell for about £700, but i also have the dell 2005fpw, which is the same LG panel, but made by dell instead. things vary a lot (dell has more features, apple is more elegant, apple has slightly better colour), but i've got the colours so they match, and it can be very acurate using ColorSync. it's just a matter of time and effort on your part to get them perfect to the printer that you're using. i can't use CRT's any more, the picture just isn't as acurate, even though the colours are better.

i'd go dell over formac, formac are a bit dated, IMO, they still seem to be competing with the apple of about 3 years ago.

i picked up the Dell one for £300 from ebay.

Back