Learning Cocoa Programming

loom001

Registered
Ok don't flame me if this is not the right spot for this, just have it moved. I would like to learn to program in Cocoa. I was wondering where I should start? Are there go web resource, or books? Here is the hitch I am a complete NEWBIE to programing, I know nothing, zip, Nada. I need to start at ground zero. What I a looking for is an easy way to start. On top of knowing nothing about programing I am also a newbie to Mac OS X. Any help that you can provide would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

There are some good books around.

First - a pocket reference to Objective-C can be useful. (I have seen about one of them in bookstores)

Then - http://www.bignerdranch.com/Book/
That is an online guide or tutor for Hilleglass: Cocoa Programming For Mac OS X - if you have a search in Amazon.com (or Amazon.co.uk) you will find about 5 books about Cocoa programming. Hilleglass' is a good one, good for even beginners - furthermore the O'Reilly books (there are 2 of them for Cocoa) ae good and easy to learn.

:)

Cocoa is a framework for programming Objective C that uses Project Builder for the actual coding, debugging and compiling and Interface Builder for creating the UI. The point of Cocoa is that it uses a number of standard Aqua protocols, so programs are relatively easy to design and many features of the UI carry over from one to the next.

I'd recommend a good book on Cocoa and Objective C, or if you want you can peruse Apple's own tutorials included with the developer tools (though I can't say how well you will learn programming from these).

So Do I really need to start with Objective C? That sounds like where a Newbie needs to begin? Most of the books that I am looking at seem to say you need some C background to learn Cocoa and navigate the examples in the book. Maybe ground Zero is Objective C? If that is the case is there something like a Dummies book, but much better written?

Thanks

I've been jumping around several languages in school, and I found that once I took an advanced learning C++ class everything came together. I highly recomend C++ above all over languages when learning Objective-C! It was a lot easier for me to understand the heap and memory management in Objective-C after doing it in C++. And once you've gotten both languages in, you can meddle around in Objective-C++ which is the mixture between the two (very fun!).

-James

yeah that is the route that I am going. I am going to tackle C++ first and then move on to other things. Looks like C++ will give me a good fondation for alot of other things. Thanks for the info!

Back