leaving mac on?

jhawcroft

Registered
Hi,
I'm wondering what the wear and tear is on my iMac powersupply, by turning it on and off every day. Would I be better off just leaving it switched on all year?? (I'm using OS X.1.5 without a problem).

Thanks,
Josh

Croft

Go ahead and leave the machine on. Today's computers are made to be left on all the time. That is the purpose of the sleep mode.

A few years ago consumer machines weren't made to do this. Only business grade machines were. But because the computer has evolved as it has, all machines now are "business-grade" in a sense.

If you put the machine to sleep when you are away from it for a while then it should be OK.

To tell you the truth it is wear and tear on the power supply. Constantly turning it on and off will deplete the life of the powersupply. That was the reason for the advent of a sleep mode. So people could leave their machines on all the time and not have to worry about electricity bills that were higher than giraffe nuts.

I have owned my iBook for a year and half now (the 1st ones last year) and never once turned it off. I put it sleep alot when I am not near it. I restart it about once a month to keep things in check, but even that is for maintenance only, not because I have problems with it.

Leave it on.

Hey, I haven't seen this topic come up in a while. It's an age-old debate! My theory is that my computer goes obsolete long before the electronics wear out. =)

-Rob

rharder - that may be true, but some of us can't afford to replace computers as soon as they are obsolete, or just don't like filling landfills with them.

As such, the question becomes - Will the thing work reliably long enough past its obsolescence for your wallet and/or environmental conscience to let you get a new one?

Originally posted by scruffy
As such, the question becomes - Will the thing work reliably long enough past its obsolescence for your wallet and/or environmental conscience to let you get a new one? [/B]
LOL!

For a serious contribution to this thread, I'll add that I haven't heard too many people complain of power supplies going out or other parts failing. Yes it happens, but that's not usually how computers "die" for people I know.

My PC I used to turn off at night because it was so stinkin' loud, but my iMac is quiet, so I leave it on 24/7.

-Rob

I had 2 Commodre 64 and an Amiga power pack die on me, way back before they made things properly, but my Umax Apus is still running fine 6 years on and that gets turned off every time its not being used (tho the battery needs replacing now!). Quicksilver and PBook both silent in sleep so I only turn them off if I'm away for more than a day or so (just cos I'm paranoid). So long as the power light breathing doesn't keep you awake, you can do the same.:cool:

Originally posted by jhawcroft
Hi,
I'm wondering what the wear and tear is on my iMac powersupply, by turning it on and off every day. Would I be better off just leaving it switched on all year?? (I'm using OS X.1.5 without a problem).

Thanks,
Josh

I have a PentiumII PC that I use as a Linux server. This computer stays on 24/7/365. I've had to replace my power supply once since 1999 when the machine was built and put online as a server.

I keep my computers at home and work on most of the time. I think it's easier on them and don't see the point of turning them off if i don't need to.

Twister

Because OSX is a unix based operating system, it is designed to be running all the time.

In fact, if you turn your OSX based machine off, it is likey to not be able to run at least 3 system level functions that ensure itv funtions correctly. These include (among other things), the rotating of various log files, backing up the Netinfo database, and doing the login accounting (computing how long users have been using the system for). These function are all summarised by three sets of scripts: The Daily, Weekly & Monthlly scripts.

If you INSIST on turning your machine off (lthough DEEP sleep uses virtually no power - all it is doing is keeping the RAM powered), you should get hold of a freeware/shareware app called Mac Janitor, which provideds a user interface to run these 3 scripts manually.

deep sleep? how's that work - where do you turn that on, etc.?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows

Yeah, just press the power button on the front of Quicksilvers or pick Sleep from the Apple menu and it all goes eerily quiet, with just the 'breathing' light for company. As good as off, but starts back up in seconds!

I wouldn't worry about it, I leave all my computers on 24/7/365 and never had a problem with them wearing out. I have an LC that according to TechTool has over 12,000 hours of use and it still hasn't had a problem yet. And that computer is a decade old

Back