Leopard, BootCamp and Vista?

Sirtovin

Senior Switcher Tech Guru
I am not sure if this is the right thread to post this hypothetical question here... Bear with me please...

The Question:

Will Leopard through its bootcamp run Windows Vista? or are they keeping bootcamp strictly for Windows XP?

The reason why I ask is because I know that alot people would buy an Apple if they could have that pudding and cake too... I know for me thats what attracted me to the Intel-Imac 20"...

I just want to hear your views guys.

I believe that Vista will be supported, but that's my opinion. This is probably one of the reasons Leopard might be out next year at the earliest since it will have the final version of Boot Camp which should theoretically support Windows Vista.

I believe that Vista will be supported, but that's my opinion. This is probably one of the reasons Leopard might be out next year at the earliest since it will have the final version of Boot Camp which should theoretically support Windows Vista.

I am really hoping it does... and it will work on my Imac 20" lol.. I am jealous of the 24" I wish I was a fly on the wall of Steve Jobs, or RSD... and knew to WAIT... lol...

Parallels is a great way to go if you want to avoid the hassle of shutting down Mac OS X to get into Windows. If you're not gaming in Windows, Parallels is a great alternative: http://www.parallels.com.

Parallels allows you to run Windows in a "Window" along side your Mac applications. It's much like Virtual PC, accept that it's not slow like Virtual PC because there's no need for the processor to "translate" commands.

Further, I would bet that Vista will run on the present hardware, otherwise, the entire industry would be making new computers to run Vista.

This is true. Even still, sometimes you need the native environment and the ability to do this is a boon. Now I'm taking this with a grain of salt, but I saw something on digg.com about Leopard being able to switch operating systems just like you fast-switch users on Windows and Mac OS X. If this is the case, then this would be an awesome feature for those using the Intel Macs.

I love bootcamp. and now the ver 1.1.1 is better, all the accessories work. Isight, mic, fiber sound card etc. ITs great. But i still only use windows for a few online games. not much use for windows anymore.

I have Beta Vista. its decent, setup is alot nicer then XP, ME, 2000/98 but still OSX is where its at.

With no official evidence, I am optimistic that Vista will run in Leopard via Bootcamp.

For one, Vista Beta runs in Parallels. That's a good sign.

For two, I can't believe Apple would have come this far only to stop short at Vista (unless Microsoft does something malicious to prevent it from running somehow).

Perhaps this is one of the Leopard secrets Jobs is holding.

Parallels is a great way to go if you want to avoid the hassle of shutting down Mac OS X to get into Windows. If you're not gaming in Windows, Parallels is a great alternative: http://www.parallels.com.

Parallels allows you to run Windows in a "Window" along side your Mac applications. It's much like Virtual PC, accept that it's not slow like Virtual PC because there's no need for the processor to "translate" commands.

Further, I would bet that Vista will run on the present hardware, otherwise, the entire industry would be making new computers to run Vista.

I know all about Parrallels... But for my needs i do the dual boot for the M$ games... :)

Microsoft wouldn't want to prevent it from running on a Mac. The reason is that Microsoft is not in the PC business -- they don't make computers to compete with Apple's hardware. Further, Microsoft would be happy to sell Windows to Mac users -- more sales!

Well I for one will buy both OS's... :) lol... MMMMMM TIME MACHINE... hehehe yahoo to Vista... :p

It is intended for Vista to work via Boot Camp. There would not be much of a reason for it not to work unless like said earlier Microsoft does something to twart Boot Camp. There will be no plans for any of Microsoft's server OS's to load though via Boot Camp. It's purely just for the consumers that want to run XP/Vista Home or Pro editions.

Microsoft has no reason to hinder Mac users. After all, they'd spend money on _Microsoft's_ OS, right? ... But I feel that BootCamp in Leopard won't be much different from what it is now, i.e. nothing virtual about it, it's mainly a bootmanager, partitioning and drivers tool.

Back