Leopard in New Macs starting when ?

xarcom

Registered
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if Leopard will be the pre-installed OS on all Macs bought through the online store after October 26th... I'm waiting for Leopard to buy one of those shiny new iMacs but I don't feel like buying it and then having to reinstall the OS a week later !...

Thanks !

Some may have a "drop-in DVD", which is basically a full version of leopard dropped into boxes where the computer was imaged too early to get a leopard image. (assuming they do the same thing they did with Tiger)

At Apple Financial conference call Apple talked about a 3 week Inventory on Macs that they had on Average (Boxes in Transit by Ship from China to the US and Europe). That means that You will be seeing "drop-in DVD's" for a number of weeks where individual Dealers also have inventory depending on Availability. At some point Apple gets around to making a new install disk, which is individual for each type of Mac (mini, MB, MBP, PM, iMac) and then for the Individual Regions and Languages because the Extras that Apple sometimes pre-installs can be different depending on were in the world you live. The Advantage of getting one of the "Old" Machines is that you have 2 OS's when the New version comes out you have no way of going back to OSX 10.4 because apple will usually change some entry in the EFI which means 10.5 from hear on out. So Check out if your Favorite Software is Leo Compatible and if not, dose the Company who made still exist and when can you expect them to get the upgrade finished they hat 1/2 Year time.

I hope that Helped

Currently they're still claiming Tiger on the models in the store (as of Oct 27 @ 23:39 CST).

so long as you buy from the apple online store, you will recieve leopard, in one way or another (pre-insalled or drop-in). Where you get into trouble is buying from the physical stores. I would avoid resellers -- I know resellers over here in Australia can take anywhere from 2 weeks (like Next Byte) to 2+ months (like Myer) to update their macs to the latest hardware/software.

Back