Leopard Migration

tannoy

Registered
Can any one help me here, I am trying to get the migration assistant to work on Leopard (running on G5 power PC) to notice the Target Mac (running tiger on an intel imac). When i go through the wizard and get it asks me to restart the target mac with firewire attached and press T it just sits on the screen telling me it is "waiting on the Target Mac to restart". The Target mac has restarted and sitting on Tmode screen.

Any one any ideas why it is not picking up the Target mac and how it can be resolved?

Thanks

Try this:

1. Re-boot the Leopard machine.
2. Place the Tiger machine into FW disk mode.
3. Does Leopard see the Tiger HD as an external drive now?
4. If yes, then try migration assistant again.
5. If no, then the issue isn't MA but your Leopard OS not recognizing an external drive

I've found the OS sometimes won't for whatever reason recognize external drives until I re-boot

hi thanks for the reply....yea i have tried what you have suggested, so i would seem then that Leopard is having probs seeing the firewire. I have rebooted several times to no avail.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to get it to see the device other than rebooting as it seems this is not working for me.

Thanks

Some have reported Leopard's installer not mounting drives properly for a *LONG* time. Either go mount it via Terminal (if you know how to) or just let it sit there for 30-45 minutes, it just might turn up as it has for other users.

I haven't downgraded to Leopard (no "Classic" mode) but (in "Tiger") I migrated from a G4 tower to a Mac Mini by "cloning" my Hard Drive to an external Firewire drive then used Migration Assistant to copy the relevant files from that.

The Migration is greatly speeded up if you first backup and delete any large files such as movie projects from the "donor".

Back