Leopard OEM

azakel

Registered
I wanted to install Leopard on my cousins macbook cause he has tiger, i have the OEM that came with my macbook but i dunno if it is possible or not you know being and OEM disc

IIRC, OEM discs are the same as regular retail stand-alone Apple discs, just with different labeling. I don't think they're "keyed" to one particular machine, if that's what you're asking. I don't even think Microsoft does that with their Windows OEM discs - so I would say, yes, it's physically possible. Legal ramifications with the license agreement, however, may be a different matter when installing on a system other than the one the disc came with.

137th Gebirg said:
IIRC, OEM discs are the same as regular retail stand-alone Apple discs, just with different labeling. I don't think they're "keyed" to one particular machine, if that's what you're asking. I don't even think Microsoft does that with their Windows OEM discs - so I would say, yes, it's physically possible.

That is incorrect. The OEM discs that come with their systems are specific to those model systems. So for example, an OEM Mac OS X installation disc set that comes with a MacBook can work with any MacBook ONLY. It won't work on a MacBook Pro or any other Mac that's not a MacBook.

Also, it is illegal to do so as I'm sure you're aware. It's also against the board rules (please check them out when you can) to discuss illegal distribution of OS X. The mods have consistently made this evident to all users and have also made it the first thing you see when you register. This includes discussion of OSx86 installations (OS X on non-Apple hardware). Any discussions about such subjects could implicate the forum, its mods, and its users.

Azakel, If your friend needs Mac OS X Leopard, they can purchase it from Apple. Consider that $129 is nothing compared to the cost of a retail version of Windows.

Well, I can answer part of my own question. The green colored disc apparently is from an iMac. Still doesn't explain why it is supposedly being sold as a legal install disc.

I imagine that they were referring to the general system requirements for Leopard. However, they do need to be a little more specific on which Mac it will work with...just saying that it's a flat OEM disc set doesn't help the purchaser much. Have you thought about contacting them to see if they can clarify their descriptions a little better? I hope they would not want to deceive anyone purchasing from them.

That looks like the upgrade DVD I bought from Mr Apple here at home, one that needs to find a Tiger installation to work. It is definitely not the model specific install disk that nixgeek was referring to.

BTW your link is a bit weird - like you used the url= tag and then the url, because it doubles up

Back