Leopard Printer support

guess2

Registered
I have a 15 year old laser printer that works plug and play to my Macintosh. I was in the store and I was looking at an HP1650 color laser printer. They only have Windows drivers.

Are all printers supported by the Macintosh? Are drivers already installed? If not do I need to check to see if the printer has Macintosh drivers?

Start by checking here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1370
Then, be sure the package/box says Macintosh support. Many printers still aren't supported on Macs, but it's quite easy to figure out if an individual model is or isn't.
(I don't find an HP Color Laserjet on the web.)

ok the 1600 is not compatible. The 2605 is, but its $250 more and it looks to be similiar. Does anyone have a recommendation for a color laser printer that works with the mac? I would like to keep the price down. I don't need top quality.

I have a 15 year old laser printer that works plug and play to my Macintosh. I was in the store and I was looking at an HP1650 color laser printer. They only have Windows drivers.

Are all printers supported by the Macintosh? Are drivers already installed? If not do I need to check to see if the printer has Macintosh drivers?
gsahli clearly meant that HP does not list a Color LaserJet 1650 on its website. In fact, there is no HP printer of any kind with model number 1650. HP does, however, have both laptop and desktop computers with this model number. Perhaps, you got your HPs mixed up.

At any rate, every Mac and every copy of MacOS X ship with a plethora of HP drivers. Each is clearly named for the model that it supports. You can check the list for yourself. However, HP does not support every HP printer on MacOS X. gsahli is also correct that Mac support will be printed on the box that the printer comes in if the printer supports the Mac.

Back