Leopard Upgrade Gone Bad w/ ext. drive

theriggsy13

Registered
Hi,

I recently upgraded from Tiger to Leopard and am experiencing some major problems.

Before upgrading, I backed-up to an external USB Hard Drive (Lacie) via SuperDuper!. I wanted to do a fresh upgrade, so I opted for the erase and upgrade option.

Everything went fine with the upgrading and so, I used the migration assistant to transfer all of the previous data from the external to the laptop (macbook).

After that, I was getting errors all over the place. After some looking around, I found that some of the data on the external was corrupted (pictures are cutoff or are colored differently than what they should be).

I'm also having problems starting third party software (word, powerpoint, toast, etc.).

Any solutions? Is this something that would be fixed via TechTool Pro or DiskWarrior?

Thanks for any help that you could provide!

-Alan Riggs

oy. Alan, I'd recommend posting as well on Super Duper forum. The developer is very responsive.

Can you boot to the external, Tiger drive? If so, do things look okay on that drive -- do the apps work? Are the photos intact? If so, you might clone the Tiger drive back to the internal one using SD. Then just upgrade the internal drive to Leopard. A clean erase is always nice, but not as necessary in mac world as opposed to windows world.

Re tech tool, I don't think that would do much good, but you could try disk warrior if you do it when booted to the Tiger drive. Note that DW has a current version which is compatible with Leopard -- the older ones I'm not so sure about (free upgrade I believe).

Also note that only the current version of SD is Leopard compatible once you start cloning/restoring the Leopard disk.

Good luck.

Back