Leopard woes or Use error?

mindbend

Registered
I've got a few main gripes with Leopard. Can anyone help?

1. Spotlight doesn't work on text in the middle of a file name. Has it always been this way? So if I search for "ourc" on a file named "outsourcing" nothing shows up. Now maybe that's not a good example, but there are plenty of searches I do like that that make more sense.

2. Spotlight (or line searches as I call them when used in a folder) refuses to "remember" the fact that I ALWAYS want to search from my current location and NOT the entire freaking computer. This is a giant let down compared to Tiger, which remembered this choice. Any ways around this.

3. I can find no way to drag and drop network volumes into my sidebar. I can drag in a FOLDER that is on a remote volume, but not the volume itself. This makes it more difficult to get to volumes I use frequently. Tiger never had this issue. For example, our file server is an old Mac tower with six hard drives connected to it. Under Leopard, I can see the file server name in the "shared" area of the sidebar. Great. Now when I click on that file server under "shared" I see all the hard drives attached. Great. Now I drag one to the sidebar and it won't let me drop it anywhere there. I really need quick access to those hard drives from save/open dialogs. Help! Is part of the problem that our file server is running Tiger? Would it be different if all machines were running Leopard?

-----

I've got to say, Leopard is by far the most troublesome upgrade in OS X history for me. Yes, it's got way cool stuff (Quickview is fantastic and going to get better as devs catch up). But for me no other previous OS X upgrade (and I've gone through every version) has given me this much headache. Here's to hoping it's just growing pains.

Having the same problem, but also if I search for something within a folder, it finds it. If I then do the same search on the whole volume, it doesn't pick it up. It's getting frustrating having to use a Tiger computer to do searches, then navigate to the file manually on my Leopard Mac. Rubbish!

Back