Let's all click the Bug-Button

Originally posted by onan
They invalidate the entire premise of a windowing system.

Are you suggesting that our screens should be cluttered with stacks and stacks of windows? Give me a break.

If you don't use the feature, fine, but there are plenty of people in the world (obviously) that do, and have incorporated it into their daily surfing routine. Tabs are a great way to sort related pages, rather than clicking away at windows placed all over the screen. To understand the concept of tabs, open System Preferces and imagine what it would be like if grouped functions all opened in a seperate window. Not.

i love tabbed browsing. it is one (of the hundred & one reasons) i switched from Internet Explorer to Mozilla, then Chimera. What i would really like to see, though it is really unecessary, is the ability to change the order of the tabs. Similar to how the bookmark toolbar can be reordered.

The entire premise of a windowing system is to be comfortable to browse. Tabs participate in that: they make browsing clear, readable in a glance, easy and fast.

In my humble opinion of course ;)

PS: Chimera is still my default browser:
- Tabbed browsing :D
- Keychain
- No sequential rendering but Gecko all-in-once rendering, ie faster to me
- More nightly builds up to now (joke :eek: )
- Ad blocking in pages
- Nice elegant interface

While they do not invalidate the premise of a windowing system, tabbed browseing seems like a bad UI convention. Mainly because tabs, to me atleast, should be used to show different views, or different controls for the same data.

Like in your System Prefs example, the different items are not all in different tabs, but within the item, there are tabs to show different groups of controls for that item.

Tabbed browsing seems to me to break that convention. Each tab can have a totaly seperate page on it, and they don't have to be related, save for the fact that you opened them. Just bad UI if you ask me.

But I won't stop anyone from asking for it, or including it in a browser, if you want it fine. Just don't call it good UI.

Originally posted by LordOphidian
Just don't call it good UI.

I totally agree. Tabs can also be confusing sometimes, because tabs that are in the background won't be listed in the Window menu or in the dock menu.

The fact Apple hasn't implemented tabs in Safari is a sign that there's still someone at Apple who has read their own UI guidelines. :)
What Safari does need though, is a quick way (ie. keyboard shortcut) to switch between windows.

as reported in another "i want tabs" thread, i spoke with one of safari's developers today and they are in consideration for the future. one of several things that couldn't make the mwsf release date. this particular developer was originally part of the netscape team and says that this is the fastest he has ever seen this good of a browser built from scratch. he attributed some of this to the addition of the guy from chimera who worked on it as well.

so quit your belly aching and pointing fingers and be thankful we finally got a fast browser with functionality and that development continues. just let apple know (politely) that you would like a pref for tabs. you'll probably get it from what i heard. :)

Omniweb has a better UI than safari from what I've seen thus far. I'm not impressed. I wanted vioce and video iChat on a Quicktime Framework, not another browser. I already have a browser that works for me, but I don't have a low cost low bandwidth usable video-conferencing solution.

Maybe I'm just hard to impress.

and spellcheck in the text boxes is available, but off by default. Score one more for Omniweb. Not by much, but Omni still wins.

I don't know if using the bug feature to submit feature recommendations is such a hot idea.

Not to sound like the "hall monitor" but that's not what the "bug button" is intended for. It was cool of Apple to put that as an option, don't make them regret it by having to sift through the thousands of "feature requests" in order to find that one really important bug report.

Back