Let's (Apple) Talk ??

McMickey

Registered
Following problem:
Running Ethernet TCP/IP network with several Mac's, most in OS9 (9 and 9.2). My own Mac MacOS X 10.1.5 and 9.2.2. When my mac is in X mode the other OS9 machines can't directly connect through the chooser. They can when they type my IP adress. Can a OSX machine appear in the OS9 chooser?. Next prob is the sharing of folders. I can only share my Dropbox (i tried to use SharePoints but that's all mambojambo to me). In other words please help me out! Unless I get this part fixed, the company won't switch to OS X (But I love it):(

enable appletalk. you can find it in the network preference pane, under the appletalk tab. then your computer should show up on the OS9 machines.

as far as sharing your folder, its not too flexible. to share more folders, you have to sepcify a share point in netinfo (this can be done manually or with a program like sharepoints) here is a recent thread on how to do it manually. i sort of skim over the details in that thread, so i should spell it out, step by step. i don t really know how to use the sharepoints program.

you also have to change permissions. right now i believe OSX shares your whole public folder, but only the drop box folder, so if you want to share something else, you have to give it permissions that allow everyone access.

i know this is a lot more complicated than OS9. but it is more secure too.

Apple Talk is enabled. So is everything else..no show..not even in the Network Browsers in OS9..:( ...And this SharePoint programm doesn't listen to what I tell it to do:mad:

*bumpin*

Hey all, I'm having the same problem in my office. Only one computer is having the problem however. It's a G4 quicksilver. Brand spankin' new. All the iMacs don't complain in the least.

Seems to me that there is a problem that is occurring with 10 not keeping AppleTalk active. Why it happens only on the G4 is a mystery.

It's a nuicance, but continually turning AppleTalk on and off when the problem occurs is the quick fix. So, if the 9'er can't connect, have the 10.1.5 restart AppleTalk. It'll work 9 times out of 10 (no pun intended.)

We need a real fix to this one though. Any ideas?

I've had the same problem ... it's easy to solve !!!

You have to enter the Mac OS 9 install cd and run the installer for updating your mac os 9/ 9.2 software ...
in the mac os 9 software installation choose Ad Hoc mode.
So go in the Network and communication (or someting similar)
There you will see a plugin module (i think it's calleb NBP Plugin ... but i can't remember) ...
it will enable your mac to see all mac os X Server in the chooser ....

hope this help

I'm sorry but I dont understand..how can I updat my 9.2.2 system from an OS9 disk? When installing an X update it automaticlly updates your OS9 right??
I've had the problem since 10.1 so....

OK, OK, my last post was very incompresible !!!
I'm sorry !!

Your problem is due to the fact that os 9 appletalk don't use tcp/ip to communicate ... mac os X yes !!

So you have to enable this feature for all your Mac OS 9 boxes !
HOW TO UPDATE:
You have to install a Mac OS 9 plugin called NPB plugin.
To do this put in your os 9 machine the mac os 9.2.1 install cd. Run the installer (you will' be asked if you want to do a clean install or just an update) in update mode.
Uncheck all the mac os 9 componets (like ColorSync, Apple Speakable items and so on) except for the Mac OS 9 System Software.
Now set the installation mode to ad hoc using the right sided menù. You will see a new window containing all the Mac OS 9 System Software components.
Unceck all.
Go in the Network and connectivity section.
There you will see that damned plugin.
It's called NBP Plugin - or someting similar - if you click on the information button (right sided) you will get help about that plugin.
Install it. Reboot ... and voilà !!
That mac os 9 box can directly connect to your Mac OS X box.

I hope i was 'understandable' ... this time !!
If no please post another time ... i'll post the screen shots !!

If I understand correctly..I have to do this on every OS9 machine in the network? Wow, what-a-lot-of-work and don't mind me saying this smells a bit Windoziness like...There's has to be another way. I can't imagine Apple would give up on this one so soon...if they do...:( my boss and co-workers will never make the X-turn:(

try to remove or rename (better) the /etc/afpovertcp.cfg file from your OSX box.

This is what i can read in the file

# If this file exists, TCP/IP will be used as the default transport
# protocol for AFP. Otherwise ATP will be used.
#

I've never tryed this solution .... so ... good luck!

hope this help

Back