Let's hope that apple has something like this in the works....

rinse

www.visualrinse.com
Let's hope that apple has something like this in the works....

www.oqo.com

looks like a major paradigm shift... is it a tablet PC? not really. PDA? Nope. Laptop? Sorta.

The ultra-personal computer.

I want one.

HECK no!

I don't want to squint my eyes anymore! If I want a portable computer, dangit I'll get a laptop with a BIG screen, not a small screen that limits functionality.

Things like this and instant messaging on cell phones is just plain stupid, IMHO.

did you read anything about it? it operates in a 4" screen fashion and can dock witha monitor for standard display purposes. perfect.

I think that's the thing that former TiBook engineers worked on. Unfortunatly, it only runs Windows XP.

It's a great idea, I'm sure some will find it useful, but I don't think that's something I'd want to use every day. Give me a PDA and a regular computer, thank you very much.

This is a regular computer that is the size of a pda... who needs a pda with this? no data synchronization issues, it can handle multimedia playback, it has USB, Firewire and a standard VGA port... what could be more perfect, besides one of these that can run OSX, that is?

I don't think I'd want to carry it around even if it did run OS X.

I like things seperate. A PDA is a PDA. A Computer is a Computer. An iPod is an iPod. Plug them into their designed hosts and they work as they should.

Interesting technology, but its dog ugly and not really practical. I mean, what is it: a PDA? No way, its far too big to simply drop in your shirt pocket. A laptop? Good grief, could you imagine trying to write up a detailed report on an intercity train with that? It sure as hell isn't a "Desktop replacement".

Lets be honest, PDAs are meant to be ultra-small, ultra-light, and keyed toward taking down quick notes and reminders and handling email. And laptops are meant to be as practical as possible while still offering portability and resilience against bumps and scratches.

Lets be honest, this is a geek toy. Nerds and technophiles might love it but the real users would sooner use a pen and paper than this monstrosity.

Its like cruise control or power windows: a technology that serves no apparent practical purpose, but nonetheless people will pay extra for it simply because it is technology.

I suppose if a TiBook and an iPod mated, and then the one device that was giving birth drank alcohol during the pregnancy, THIS device would be the resulting birth.

Anyway... Alright, it may not be pretty, and it may run Windows, but it's still an interesting device, nonetheless. I wouldn't mind if my iPod became a full-fledged computer if I wanted to... but this is definitely not mainstream technology... I'm sure it will find a niche SOMEwhere, though.

Originally posted by symphonix
Its like cruise control or power windows: a technology that serves no apparent practical purpose, but nonetheless people will pay extra for it simply because it is technology.

Cruise control is fairly useless, unless you go on long trips through the desert often. However, I LOVE power windows. THAT is a matter of convenience.

Originally posted by symphonix
Interesting technology, but its dog ugly and not really practical. I mean, what is it: a PDA? No way, its far too big to simply drop in your shirt pocket. A laptop? Good grief, could you imagine trying to write up a detailed report on an intercity train with that? It sure as hell isn't a "Desktop replacement".

Lets be honest, PDAs are meant to be ultra-small, ultra-light, and keyed toward taking down quick notes and reminders and handling email. And laptops are meant to be as practical as possible while still offering portability and resilience against bumps and scratches.

Lets be honest, this is a geek toy. Nerds and technophiles might love it but the real users would sooner use a pen and paper than this monstrosity.

Ditto. What symphonix said. :D I just had to run, so I didn't make a long post.

This is exactly what I'm trying to say. If I want something that I can jot notes down on, I'll get a PDA or a paper notepad. If I want something I can actually do much work on, I'll get a laptop. I don't need something like this device, even if it DOES dock into a normal computer.

I predict that this will probably just get lost in the tech industry and will eventually be pulled. It's like the cube: there's no real market for it. And it's also a case of trying to do to much... PDAs are perfect for their size and functionality. So are laptops. But a full-fledged computer gets too complicated when it's this small, and it's pointless to be this small if you just dock it into a regular computer to do work.

I'll admit it's an interesting technology, but let's face it: the Start menu alone is going to take up half of the screen. :p

what niche market? look at the price.... $1000!

who wouldn't want an ultra portable computer for $1000... i dunno why you are all so anti this... is it just because it is a windows computer? i think that if apple unveiled a machine like this everyone here would be screaming for it... i know i would.

this computer plus one of those rollup/foldup portable keyobards and bam. it is a full featured machine anywhere...

i think that this is where the PDA is headed, more like a computer. people arent going to want to spend 500-600 on a iPaq or Palm 500 when something like this available. i cant get crap done on a palm os pda. it feels like a toy, this on the other handed would run outlook, excel and word... wow.

and i strongly disagree with cruise control and power windows being unnecessry. i wouldnt buy a car without either of them.

i also am not sure why the there is so much criticism on its looks... it is a simple silver box, not all that different than what something like this would look like if it came out of Apple... If from Apple, and aimed at the subnotebook pro market, it would naturally inherit looks from the TiBook... which was coincidentally designed by some of the same people that designed this.

Well. I'll add my two cents here, too.

It's a great idea. At home, plug in keyboard, mouse and a monitor. Get work done or surf the web. Download all that mail. On the way, read your mail. If you have a foldup-keyboard, answer them. At work, reconnect to real interfaces (monitor, keyboard, mouse) and get working again. This way, it *really* eliminates the PDA. Really.

But I'm a notebook man. I'm a writer. I can't have my screen on one knee and the swabbly-keyboard on the other for typing when travelling by train, for example. That's why I bought the eMate instead of the Newton with an external keyboard. (And it served me well. Wrote a whole book on it.)

I'm rather replacing my desktop with another notebook. But if you look at the price and consider that many people work as described in the second paragraph, there's a good chance that the device won't fail. And don't forget the copycats. Those things will come for sure. And they'll put some fire under Microsoft's PDA plans.

I think it's a pity it wasn't Apple who did it first. Now I think Apple won't do such a device. Until they can do the best of the breed (like iPod).

IBM has one of these in the works... it seems pretty cool tooo, but i think it is significantly more $.

This thing looks like a neat idea to me. I've often day dreamed about a PDA that was so powerful that it could be my full time computer.

Basically, it would be small enough to fit in my pocket but powerful enough to handle all my computing tasks. Of course, I need a real monitor and a full sized keyboard. It would need a nice docking station too.

This device isn't the device of my dreams, however, it's getting there. (Also, in my dreams the device is totally free :) )

Vanguard

Hmm, I don't get it ;)

Is it an ultra computer or is it for ultra-personal purpose :rolleyes:

BIG BS!! Its using Win XP

I think whether you like/dislike the device has something to do with how you view the future of computers. My roommate loved it, but he wants a device that does everything all in one computer, which is why he really wants and iPaq or some other Windows CE PDA - it's like a mini computer, and he likes that.

I, on the otherhand, like my life really simple. I don't own a cell phone, pda, pager.... and I wouldn't want my computer to have those options (like some PDAs do with add-ons). It would just add one more layer of trouble to my life, I think.

But, if I ever do need/want to get those devices, I want them to work, when I am at home, with a nice large display, keyboard, mouse, etc. I want a digital hub.

And I hope that since apple has adopted bluetooth we'll see an iCell to organize contacts on certain cool looking (and probably expenisve) cell phones from participating companies. Why? Just ask my friend carmen whose old phone battery won't charge and is no longer made. She had to transfer all her old contacts from the old phone to the new one - manually. Ugh, manually? That is soooooooo 1990, man.

Give me the digital hub.

Back