Lexmark 2300 Printer Installation

Cheaper solution: Stay with Panther (it's a good OS) and get iLife '06. Runs fine on Panther AFAIK.

Now I'm having another problem. I'm trying to network my Laptop w/ my WRT54G router but I can't get onto: http://192.168.1.1/

i found the linksys instructions and setup guide for the router and it tells me to goto http://192.168.1.1/ and type in "admin" as the password but i keep getting a 401 screen.

the thing is my laptop is getting a 100 percent connection but i can't connect to the internet w/ it. i have a linksys wireless networking card in it.

somehow i'm doing something wrong?

Nix, do you have an advice on this since you have the same router.

thanks,
TD

Just so you know for future reference, it's not good practice to bump a thread here within a few hours. We might not be in (I've been out until just now), others might not have seen the thread yet so they haven't had a chance to respond, or they just don't have the answer and are waiting for someone with the answer to post instead.

Anyways, back to your problem. Here's what I did to access the web interface on my Linksys

1. Connect a computer (PC or Mac, doesn't matter) directly to the Linksys using an Ethernet cable. Also make sure to manually set your IP address on that Mac/PC to something like 192.168.1.5 or something other than 192.168.1.1 (which is the address of the router).

2. Once both are connected from an ethernet cable, open up a web browser and type http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and hit Enter/Return. If all went well, you should get a login box. Just enter the default password without a username and that should bring you to the configuration page of the router. CHANGE THE DEFAULT PASSWORD TO SOMETHING MORE SECURE THAT ONLY YOU WILL KNOW.

3. In the Linksys configuration page, make sure that you configure it to work as a DHCP server so that the router can give out IP addresses to the rest of the computers on your network. I've set up a scope from 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.200, but you can make the scope as large or small as you like.

4. In the wireless section, make sure to enable the highest encryption that is allowed by your wireless computers. If you have various devices that support WPA and one that only supports WEP, then you'll be forced to use WEP for encryption. It's not the best, but it's better than no encryption at all.

5. Also, be sure to set up your SSID (the name for your wireless signal on the router) and don't have it broadcast (makes it easier for people to detect your network if you leave the broadcasting on). Make it something that only you will know.

As for your modem, you might not need to do anything to it. However, if you choose to do so then you can configure the DSL modem to work in bridged mode. To do this, you will have to do the following:

1. Connect a computer (Mac/PC) to the DSL modem directly using an Ethernet cable. Make sure the TCP/IP configuration is set to receive an address through DHCP before continuing.

2. Open up a web browser and type in the internal IP address for the modem in the web address bar. This internal IP information should be included with the modem when it shipped to you.

3. Once you're logged in to the modem's config page, go into the section that has your DSL username account and password. WRITE IT DOWN ON PAPER.

4. Next, find the section with your ISP's DNS nameserver IP addresses and domain name. This information is what allows you to type in "http://www.macosx.com" and reach this site, for example. WRITE DOWN THIS INFORMATION ALSO. You'll find this information probably in a Connection Status page. I couldn't tell you exactly as all modems are different from one another.

5. Once you have all that information, head over to the modem's advanced section (if it has one). In there, you should have an option for "bridged mode" or something similarly named. Enable it and accept any changes. REMEMBER YOU NEED THE PREVIOUS INFORMATION BEFORE DOING THIS AS YOUR ROUTER WILL BE DOING THE JOB OF THE MODEM AS WELL!!

6. Disconnect the computer and connect the router's WAN port to the modem's Ethernet port. Connect the computer to your router's switch port. (If you've already configured the router to act as a DHCP server, then leave the computer set to DHCP. If not, then follow the above directions on the router configuration before continuing with this step.)

7. In the router (this is the part I haven't included yet in the above steps for the router), you'll notice a section for a username, password, and connection type. My DSL uses PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE), so I have the router set to that. Set your router to the appropriate connection type from your ISP. In the username section, enter the username used to connect to the Internet and your password under the password section.

8. Under the DNS section, enter the DNS nameserver IPs that you took from your modem config page. Also include the domain name if your router asks for it.

That should pretty much do it. Yes, it's a bit to do, but it will work for you. It works for me just fine.

As for the printing, I checked my Windows box and the option is called "Printing Services for Unix" which is located in the Add/Remove Programs-->Add/Remove Windows Components. Once you have that up, it's under the option "Other Networking Services" or something like that. :p

Hope this helps. :)

2. Once both are connected from an ethernet cable, open up a web browser and type http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and hit Enter/Return. If all went well, you should get a login box. Just enter the default password without a username and that should bring you to the configuration page of the router. CHANGE THE DEFAULT PASSWORD TO SOMETHING MORE SECURE THAT ONLY YOU WILL KNOW.

Nix,

I did that and it kept booting me out telling me I had the wrong password. I typed in "default" like it told me to do but kept getting a 401 error.

I wasn't saying that the password was "default", but that the default password (the password that is set from the factory and in the firmware of the router) would need to be changed.

Try "admin" as that's usually the default password that I've come across with Linksys routers. If that doesn't work, then you might have to reset it. Check the instructions for the Linksys router on how to reset it.

Back