Lexmark

I'm running a Lexmark Z22 and I am very pleased. The drivers work effectively, the printout is the best you could expect from a printer in this price range, and the noise level is very low. I haven't had to recharge the cartridges yet but they are big, especially compared to the piddly little ones you'll find on the equivalent Canon.

Speed is not usually what they claim it to be, though, and the printers usually don't ship with the black cartridge, but only with the colour cartridge. Also, they usually don't ship with a USB cable, either.

Colour realism is actually quite good for such a cheap printer.

I have owned HPs, Canons and Epsons, and each has its own shortcomings:
Canon's budget printers have ludicrously small ink-wells and they seem not to care about Mac or Unix users.
HPs are cheap to run and quiet, but tend to fall a little short in print quality.
The Epsons are good all-round, but quite noisy.

The Lexmarks, however, make the best budget-price printers you could hope for.

I have a Lexmark Z32 and it works pretty good for me. My only complaint is that the ink cartridges seem to run out really fast are pretty damn expensive at $30-$35 a pop.

I have a Z52. It came with drivers for OS 9, and I downloaded a driver for X. Works well!

I've got a Lexmark Z23. It came free with my Power Mac. I was able to download an X driver for it.

It's the worst printer I've ever had. 9 out of 10 times it prints colors the wrong way. Lexmark's only solution is to give it it's own dedicated USB port. Sorry, but I can't devote an entire USB port just for a printer. If it can't work through a hub, then that's very poor design. Ah well, what can I say? It was free.

Sometimes I do wish we could have stuck with certain ports for certain things. Like the serial ports for printers and such, and USB for other things that don't really fit in anywhere else. Never had any trouble with that stuff.

Back