Lightning and G5 iMac - help, please!

TheBattman

I'd rather be fishin'
A buddy just called and said that he thinks he lost his computer to lightning...

It is a G5 iMac. He has all of his stuff plugged in through a Belkin 550VA UPS. Nothing else appears to be hurt... Just his iMac that won't boot. No sound, no nothing.

He took the back off to see if there was any physical signs of the problem - and also to do a smell test (the last one that got hit by lighting had a minor electrical burn smell). No smell.

He has noticed that there are four LEDs. One lights up when the computer is plugged in, but is flashing VERY fast - and he can hear a very quiet tick sound that co-ordinates with the rapid flashing of the LED. The led has the number "1" by it.

When you unplug the cord, the same LED's blinking slows then fades out.

No other noises or signs of life.

Suggestions, short of buying a new computer? He has already been informed by a few of us that his homeowner's will cover it (with deductible, of course). And Belkin has a supposed warranty against damage via the electrical (what about lightning?).

Best course of action? Anything else to try or look at?

Thanks for any help!

Well, first the #1 means that its getting power, I had this same problem with my iMac G5, but I had a motherboard/capacitor problem and it just happen to be after a lighting strike too.
First check all of your capacitors and see if they look like the picture on the left. If they do look like that, you can get a new motherboard installed by Apple for free
40667989.bad_caps1.jpg

Well, first the #1 means that its getting power, I had this same problem with my iMac G5, but I had a motherboard/capacitor problem and it just happen to be after a lighting strike too.
First check all of your capacitors and see if they look like the picture on the left. If they do look like that, you can get a new motherboard installed by Apple for free
View attachment 6729

I will have him check that, but he had warranty work done a while back that included the midplain issue...

I will have him check that, but he had warranty work done a while back that included the midplain issue...

Most likely the damage did not happen through the power supply, but through another connection like phone or network. If your power supply is hit directly by lightning, in general it is really dead and will cause major havoc, especially when the computer was turned ON.

Good luck, Kees

Back