Linksys Modem/Router for MAC?

edmoriarty

Registered
I originally set up my LinkSys (WAG354G - UK) combined wireless modem and router when I was a PC user. A couple of months back, I switched to a new MacBook (basic white model), and the Linksys continued to work fine. Then my ISP changed my username/password settings during an upgrade, and when I tried to access the Linksys' settings page to change these, Safari gives me an unauthorised 401 error message. I've tried 192.168.1.1 (as per Linksys' own user guide and tech support) and 192.168.0.1 - which I've also seen on one of your forums.

Linksys support did their usual 'we don't support Macs' line and their only suggestion is that I borrow a windows PC to change the settings.

Does anyone know how to resolve my problem on my MAC without resorting to borrowing a PC?!

Many thanks, Edmund

Are you trying to access your router with your MacBook wired or wireless? If its wired to the router then it should be no different than if a PC was accessing it I'm thinking.

Try another Macintosh web browser ['Internet Explorer', 'Camino', 'Firefox', 'Flock', 'iCab', 'Mozilla', 'Netscape Navigator', 'OmniWeb', 'Opera', 'SeaMonkey', 'Shiira', etc.], enter '192.168.1.1' as the url, leave the Username field blank and enter "admin" (without quotes) in the password field.

I have accessed 'Linksys' wired and wireless routers with Macs; however, I just can not remember all the web browser(s) I used; but, am sure that 'Firefox' was one of them.

If you go into your System Preferences > Network and look at the TCP/IP settings, the router address should be listed there. Use that address to access your router via whatever browser you are using. With some routers, the default username is "admin" and the default password is "password"

Thanks - will try that, but Ihave used the address that Linksys supplied and it still doesn't work, but I will trry your advice too!

Back