Linksys "Wireless-B" router

RNeibel

Registered
If anyone has SPECIFIC experience configuring this router for an ethernet+wireless/DSL Mac environment, PLEASE contact me either here or at rneibel@alltel.net

I am having fits getting either of 2 wireless laptops to be able to connect, and no one here or at the Apple Networking Forums seems to be able to set me straight.

Thanks in advance.

(And yes: I have already configured and re-configured ad nauseum via browser; downloaded/reviewed A. Engst's "Wireless Start-up Kit" + updates and the Linksys manual; considered various incantations; etc. etc. Assuming there's no mechanical defect, I'm pretty much at a loss.....)

I have had nothing but trouble with Linksys on my PC and Mac. I recently returned by Linksys, and now i have Netgear wireless router. It works very well with mac, no software installation, all i did was take it out of the box, plug it into the power, plug the wan into it from my dsl modem, and -- POOF -- a NETGEAR network popped up in my airport list of wireless networks.

So, my advice would be to return your Linksys and buy a Netgear router, they play nicely with macs.

MBHockey said:
Me? No i use verizon DSL (PPPoE)

Also, to the original poster.

Actually, I got the Linksys "Wireless-B" working fine; it was strictly operator-error due to configuration errors. (That process IS a bit confusing, but can only blame myself.) Also, FWIW -- despite Linksys apparently NOT supporting Appletalk, I can communicate wireless to ethernet-ed and vice versa fine, tho not wireless to wireless.......

Is you network working fine now?

I have a Linksys Wireless-G (same setup options). If you're still having problems, is it with the internet connection (PPPoE?) or with the laptop not recognizing the router?

My setup:

Under Basic Setup: This is where you turn on the PPPoE connection with your username and password to logon to your DSL ISP.

Under Basic Wireless Settings: There should be a place to put a network name (SSID) and make sure that you enable it to be broadcast.

Under Wireless Security: I turned on 128-bit WEP security so that my neighbor can't steal my connection (they have wireless too) and gave it a passphrase. The key number that it generates is what you enter in as your password when the AirPort wireless networking asks for one to connect to your network.

If you still can't see the network, make sure that DHCP is turned on in your Router and set your laptop to auto detect it's IP from the router. If you specify a static IP for the laptop, you still have to enter your DNS server info into your laptop, I don't think it will let you enter the router as your DNS server (192.168.1.1 - or whatever you set it as) when using PPPoE. I use a static IP for our DSL and setup the router as our DNS server. That way, when I specify a static IP for my laptop, something like 192.168.1.10, I can specify the router as both my gateway and DNS server.

You can specify your router as your DNS server with PPPoE.
I gave my powerbook a static IP address and made my computer act as the DMZ server on my network.

Can you actually get your Wireless Linsys routers to work with your powerbooks ethernet port? i have no problem with the wireless but when tryng to configyre it to work with ethernet i can't eve get an ip address, i did it manually and couldn't even get to the 192.168.1.1 page - AHHH. I was on phone with Linksys for almost an hour and only then whenm i ask do they tell me bout returning it - but do you getit to work cause if my ehernet will not work im returning it.

TO ALL ABOVE:

Thanks; I (sometime back) got it all -- wireless and e-net -- working. It was, alas, operator-error (tho the set-up IS indeed confusing). FWIW: my primary stumbling block was appropriate config of PPPoE.......

Golfer099 said:
Can you actually get your Wireless Linsys routers to work with your powerbooks ethernet port? i have no problem with the wireless but when tryng to configyre it to work with ethernet i can't eve get an ip address, i did it manually and couldn't even get to the 192.168.1.1 page - AHHH. I was on phone with Linksys for almost an hour and only then whenm i ask do they tell me bout returning it - but do you getit to work cause if my ehernet will not work im returning it.

If you're using static IPs did you double check your subnet address on your computer? Probably 255.255.255.0 by default and specify a unique address of 192.168.1.# . Also, make sure you're not plugging into the Uplink port on the router.

Thanks; I (sometime back) got it all -- wireless and e-net -- working. It was, alas, operator-error (tho the set-up IS indeed confusing). FWIW: my primary stumbling block was appropriate config of PPPoE.......

PPPoE sucks. :) I've spent too much wasted time installing PPPoE setups for my relatives with so-called "easy to install" services (Yahoo DSL has been the worst so far). I usually just end up recomending they get a router that can keep their PPPoE connections 24/7 so they can bypass the services crummy login software. (Of course, OS X doesn't have this issue). Our Speakeasy service with a static IP is so rediculously easy to install... basically plug-n-play, no stupid user account and login stuff. And they don't care how many computers we have and if I run servers all day. Nice. But it's not available everywhere around here yet.

Back