Linux Box Acting As File And Print Server For Mac 10.2.5

chuckletrousers

Registered
Hi folks. I used to be a Mac network/support guy, but I went back to teaching just before OS X debuted. So I'm pretty adept, but new to OS X. I finally upgraded two weeks ago.

===

My situation:

At my house, I have an old Digital P-166 box acting as a Linux fileserver for my three Macs, none of which have been OS X machines until two weeks ago.

Now that I've upgraded my Powerbook to OS 10.2, I'd like to do the same for my desktop Mac and my cd burner Mac.

The reason I'm here is that a linux guru friend of mine set up the server for me, and I'd like to have a reasonable idea of what I need to do before asking him for another favor.

**Will I need a version of Linux that is too advanced for my nine-year old P-166 Digital box?

**Will I be able to extend this server (perhaps with a different OS) to be a print server?

**Will I be able to use my old Laserwriter on said network?

I suppose I want to know whether Linux is flexible enough to unite all of my hardware. Should I upgrade all of my Macs to OS X?

Someone please tell me what other information I should provide. Since I'm at work now, I can't go in and tell you the flavor of Linux I'm using, but by tonight or tomorrow I will be able to.

Thanks--
John (Chuckletrousers)

**Will I need a version of Linux that is too advanced for my nine-year old P-166 Digital box?

I doubt it.

**Will I be able to extend this server (perhaps with a different OS) to be a print server?

Yes. Use CUPS (Common Unix Print Services) which is included in just about every major Linux distribution around today, and is the standard used by Mac OS X. You will be able to administer the print services through a web-browser interface on any of your Macs, which will let you manage print queues and so on.

**Will I be able to use my old Laserwriter on said network?

Probably, yes. One of the good things with CUPS is that the developers are always adding drivers to it, and not taking them away.

The only other thing you will want to tell your Linux-wizard of a friend is that you want a service called AFP (Apple File Protocol) setup on the server as well.

Back